Otumfuo Nana Osei Tutu II
||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2014)|
|Osei Tutu II|
|Asantehene of Asante; Kumasehene of Kumasi|
Osei Nana Otumfuo Tutu II
|King of the Kingdom of Asante|
|Reign||26 April 1999 – present|
|Coronation||26 April 1999|
|Predecessor||Otumfuo Opoku Ware II|
6 May 1950 |
|Spouse||Lady Julia Osei Tutu|
|House||House of Oyoko Dynasty|
|Father||Nana Kwame Boakye|
|Mother||Queen Afia Kobi Serwaa Ampem|
Osei Tutu II (Otumfuo Osei Tutu, born 6 May 1950), is the 16th Asantehene, ruler of Ashanti and Ashantiland and the Kingdom of Ashanti, absolute monarch and head of the Ashanti royal House of Oyoko, King of Ashanti and Ashanti Kingdom and the Ashanti people in Ashanti. King Osei Tutu ascended the Golden Stool (throne) on 26 April 1999. By name, Otumfuo Osei Tutu II is in direct succession to the founder of the Empire of Ashanti, Otumfuo Osei Tutu I.
|Osei Tutu II|
|Born||Otumfuo Osei Tutu
May 6, 1950
Kumasi, Ashanti, Ashantiland, Kingdom of Ashanti
|Residence||Manhyia Palace, Kumasi, Ashanti, Ashantiland, Kingdom of Ashanti|
|Alma mater||University of Professional Studies|
|Occupation||King of Ashanti and Ashantiland
King of the Kingdom of Ashanti
Chancellor of Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology
|Net worth||US$ 1.6–2 billion (average)|
|Board member of||President and owner of Asante Kotoko SC|
|Spouse(s)||Julia Osei Tutu (m. 2006)|
|Parent(s)||Nana Kwame Boakye-Dankwa
Nana Afua Kobi Serwaa Ampem, II
He was born 6 May 1950 and named Nana Barima Kwaku Dua, the youngest of the five children of Ashanti Queen Nana Afua Kobi Serwaa Ampem, II, Asantehemaa (Queen mother of the Kingdom of Ashanti). His father Nana Kwame Boakye-Dankwa was from Kantinkyere in Ashanti and was also the Brehyia Duke of Ashanti. Nana Kwame Boakye-Dankwa died on 1 January 2002, in Kumasi, Ashanti.
Osei Tutu has six children. His father had other offspring from other marriages, including Yaw Boateng, Kwaku Duah, Kwabena Agyei-Bohyen, Afua Sarpong and Ama Agyemang (Kumasi, Ashanti), Fredua Agyeman Prempeh, Nana Kwasi Agyemang Prempeh and Nana Kwasi Boachie Gyambibi (Kumasi, Ashanti).
King Asantehene Osei Tutu II's name at birth, Nana Barima Kwaku Duah, is the name of the Ashanti king's paternal grandfather.
Titles and styles
- 6 May 1950 – 26 April 1999: His Royal Highness Prince Nana Dua of the Kingdom of Ashanti
- 26 April 1999 – present: His Majesty The Asantehene (King) of the Kingdom of Ashanti
Osei Tutu had his "O" level education at Sefwi Wiawso Senior High School. He graduated in Philosophy with a first-class degree and degree of Doctor of Philosophy, conferred at a ceremony at The Barbican Centre, London on 11 January 2006.
Ashanti Union with Ghana
- Queen consort Lady Julia Osei Tutu. The Kingdom of Ashanti Monarchy.
- Kingdom of Ashanti Kings And Queens Of Asante.
- "Otumfuo Osei Tutu II - Chancellor". Official Website. Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology. Retrieved 2009-11-03.
- "Millionaires in Ghana: Who is Who?". 17 April 2012.
- "Asantehene expresses frustration over Sunshine CITI Project delay". Ghana news Agency, 4 October 2012. Retrieved 2012-10-15.
- "Asantehene appeals to all to share in the development of education". Ghana News Agency, 26 September 2012. Retrieved 2012-10-15.
- "Asantehene Urges President Mahama & Vice Amissah-Arthur To Remain Focused In Their Work". Ghana News Agency, 24 October 2012. Retrieved 2012-10-15.
- "Vice-President Amissah-Arthur pays courtesy call on Asantehene". Retrieved 2012-10-15.
- "Asantehene urges teachers to continue working hard". Retrieved 2012-10-25.
- "Asantehene's jewel: Norway police release CCTV footage of suspects". P.M. News Nigeria, 13 October 2012. Retrieved 2012-10-15.
- Two items in Asantehene's jewel case retrieved. Retrieved 2012-10-25.
- "BBC News - Ghana's Ashanti crown jewels stolen in Norway hotel". Bbc.co.uk. 2012-10-12. Retrieved 2013-12-11.
- "Asantehene Calls for More Education on Forest Plantation". Ghana News Agency, 2010-11-04. Web. Retrieved 2010-11-09.