Otumfuo Nana Osei Tutu II
||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (November 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Osei Tutu II|
|Asantehene of Asante; Kumasehene of Kumasi|
His Majesty (HM) Otumfuo Nana Osei Tutu II accompanied by his bodyguards Chatham House, October 2015
|Emperor of the Empire of Asante|
|Reign||26 April 1999 – present|
|Coronation||26 April 1999|
|Predecessor||Otumfuo Opoku Ware II|
|Born||Otumfuo Osei Tutu
May 6, 1950
Kumasi, Ashanti Region, Ghana
|Spouse||Lady Julia Osei Tutu (m. 2006)|
|House||House of Oyoko Dynasty|
Chancellor of Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology
Osei Tutu II (born 6 May 1950) is the 16th Asantehene, tradtional ruler of the Kingdom of Ashanti in Ghana since 26 April 1999. By name, Otumfuo Osei Tutu II is in direct succession to the founder of the Empire of Ashanti, Otumfuo Osei Tutu I.
He was born on 6 May 1950 and named Nana Barima Kwaku Duah, the youngest of the five children of Nana Afia Kobi Serwaa Ampem II, Asantehemaa (Queen-mother of ). His father Nana Kwame Boakye-Dankwa was from Kantinkyere in Ashanti and was also the Brehyia Duke of Asante. Nana Kwame Boakye-Dankwa died on 1 January 2002, in Kumasi, Ashanti.
Osei Tutu has six children. His father had other offspring from other marriages, including Yaw Boateng, Kwaku Duah, Kwabena Agyei-Bohyen, Afua Sarpong and Ama Agyemang (Kumasi, Ashanti), Fredua Agyeman Prempeh, Nana Kwasi Agyemang Prempeh and Nana Kwasi Boachie Gyambibi (Kumasi, Ashanti).
Emperor Asantehene Osei Tutu II's name at birth, Nana Barima Kwaku Duah, is the name of the Asante emperor's paternal grandfather.
Titles and styles
- 6 May 1950 – 26 April 1999: His Royal Highness Prince Nana Dua of the Empire of Ashanti
- 26 April 1999 – present: His Majesty The Asantehene (Emperor) of the Empire of Ashanti
Osei Tutu had his "O"-level education at Sefwi Wiawso Senior High School. He graduated in Philosophy with a first-class degree and degree of Doctor of Philosophy, conferred at a ceremony at the Barbican Centre on 11 January 2006.
Ashanti Union with Ghana
He received international media attention after some of the Ashanti crown jewels were allegedly stolen from an Oslo hotel in October 2012 when he was attending a conference in the Norwegian capital.
- Queen consort Lady Julia Osei Tutu. The Kingdom of Ashanti Monarchy.
- "About Us — The Chancellor". Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology. Retrieved 30 July 2016.
- Kingdom of Ashanti Kings And Queens Of Asante.
- "Asantehene expresses frustration over Sunshine CITI Project delay". Ghana News Agency, 4 October 2012. Retrieved 15 October 2012.
- "Asantehene appeals to all to share in the development of education". Ghana News Agency, 26 September 2012. Retrieved 15 October 2012.
- "Asantehene Urges President Mahama & Vice Amissah-Arthur To Remain Focused In Their Work". Ghana News Agency, 24 October 2012. Retrieved 15 October 2012.
- "Vice-President Amissah-Arthur pays courtesy call on Asantehene". Joy Online, 6 October 2012. Retrieved 15 October 2012.
- "Asantehene urges teachers to continue working hard". Ghana News Agency, 24 October 2012. Retrieved 25 October 2012.
- "Ghana's Ashanti crown jewels stolen in Norway hotel". BBC News. 12 October 2012. Retrieved 11 December 2013.
- "Asantehene's jewel: Norway police release CCTV footage of suspects". P.M. News Nigeria, 13 October 2012. Retrieved 15 October 2012.
- "Two items in Asantehene's jewel case retrieved", GhanaWeb, 20 October 2012.
- "Asantehene Calls for More Education on Forest Plantation". Ghana News Agency, 4 November 2010. Retrieved 9 November 2010.