Location in Gelderland
|Established||1 January 2005|
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Otwin van Dijk (PvdA)|
|• Total||137.94 km2 (53.26 sq mi)|
|• Land||136.40 km2 (52.66 sq mi)|
|• Water||1.54 km2 (0.59 sq mi)|
|Elevation||15 m (49 ft)|
|Population (February 2017)|
|• Density||290/km2 (800/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
Geography and population centres
It has 15 population centres. Formerly from Gendringen
- Breedenbroek, Etten, Gendringen, Megchelen, Netterden, Ulft, Varsselder, and Voorst (not to be confused with the municipality of Voorst, also in Gelderland).
Formerly from Wisch
Terborg is the only population centre with city rights, but the largest one is Ulft with 10,000 inhabitants. The municipality of Oude IJsselstreek is considered to be divided into three units. The centres along the river Oude IJssel (Ulft, Gendringen, Etten on the left border, Silvolde and Terborg on the right) constitute the urban belt, Varsseveld in the east of the municipality is a rural village and the other centres are the external territories. The municipality plans to make Ulft the local centre.
Seats in the municipality Oude IJsselstreek since 2014:
- Lokaal Belang (Local Interests) GVS 8 seats
- Christian Democratic Appeal 5 seats
- Dutch Labour Party 3 seats
- Socialist Party (Netherlands) 3 seats
- Democrats 66 2 seats
- People's Party for Freedom and Democracy 2 seats
Hans Alberse was mayor of the newly established municipality Oude IJsselstreek since May 15, 2006. In 2015 he resigned and was replaced by the Commissaris van de Koning with Steven de Vreeze. Since July 2016 the new mayor is Otwin van Dijk.
Dutch Topographic map of the municipality of Oude IJsselstreek, June 2015
In this essentially rural municipality, there have been some places where iron ore was mined and processed. From the several enterprises the DRU (Diepenbrock en Reigers te Ulft) was the largest, it closed in Ulft in 2003. Since 2009, the former DRU factory is a cultural centre that houses the local library of Ulft, a theater, a regional centre for vocational education and other facilities. Municipal council meetings take place in its conference room.
Oude IJsselstreek is a member of the Ring of the European Cities of Iron Works and hosted the annual convention of 2010.
- "Gemeentelijke indeling op 1 januari 2005" [Municipal divisions on 1 January 2005]. cbs.nl (in Dutch). CBS. Retrieved 15 July 2014.
- "Leden van het college" [Members of the board] (in Dutch). Gemeente Oude IJsselstreek. Retrieved 15 July 2014.
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten" [Key figures for neighbourhoods]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 2 July 2013. Retrieved 12 March 2014.
- "Postcodetool for 7081BN". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Retrieved 15 July 2014.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 7 April 2017. Retrieved 7 April 2017.
|Emmerich am Rhein (DE-NW)||Rees (DE-NW), Isselburg (DE-NW)|