Skyline of Varsselder
Location in Gelderland
|Established||1 January 2005|
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Hans Alberse (PvdA)|
|• Total||137.94 km2 (53.26 sq mi)|
|• Land||136.40 km2 (52.66 sq mi)|
|• Water||1.54 km2 (0.59 sq mi)|
|Elevation||15 m (49 ft)|
|Population (May 2014)|
|• Density||290/km2 (800/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
Geography and population centres
It has 15 population centres. Formerly from Gendringen
- Breedenbroek, Etten, Gendringen, Megchelen, Netterden, Ulft, Varsselder, and Voorst (not to be confused with the municipality of Voorst, also in Gelderland).
Formerly from Wisch (Gelderland)
Terborg is the only population centre with city rights, but the largest one is Ulft with 10,000 inhabitants. The municipality of Oude IJsselstreek is considered to be divided into three units. The centres along the river Oude IJssel (Ulft, Gendringen, Etten on the left border, Silvolde and Terborg on the right) constitute the urban belt, Varsseveld in the east of the municipality is a rural village and the other centres are the external territories. The municipality plans to make Ulft the local centre.
Dutch Topographic map of the municipality of Oude IJsselstreek, 2013.
In this essentially rural municipality, there have been some places where iron ore was mined and processed. From the several enterprises the DRU (Diepenbrock en Reigers te Ulft) was the largest, it closed in Ulft in 2003. Since 2009 the DRUfabriek is a cultural centre that gives home to the local library of Ulft, a theater, a Turkish cultural centre, a regional centre for vocational education and other facilities. In its conference room the meetings of the municipal council take place.
Oude IJsselstreek is a member of the Ring of the European Cities of Iron Works and hosted the annual convention of 2010.
- "Gemeentelijke indeling op 1 januari 2005" [Municipal divisions on 1 January 2005]. cbs.nl (in Dutch). CBS. Retrieved 15 July 2014.
- "Leden van het college" [Members of the board] (in Dutch). Gemeente Oude IJsselstreek. Retrieved 15 July 2014.
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten" [Key figures for neighbourhoods]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 2 July 2013. Retrieved 12 March 2014.
- "Postcodetool for 7081BN". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Retrieved 15 July 2014.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 26 June 2014. Retrieved 24 July 2014.
|Emmerich am Rhein (DE-NW)||Rees (DE-NW), Isselburg (DE-NW)|