Location of Oulainen in Finland
|• Town manager||Esa Sippola|
|• Total||587.79 km2 (226.95 sq mi)|
|• Land||587.53 km2 (226.85 sq mi)|
|• Water||10.01 km2 (3.86 sq mi)|
|Area rank||143rd largest in Finland|
|• Rank||130th largest in Finland|
|• Density||12.93/km2 (33.5/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||99.1% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||20.5%|
|• 15 to 64||61.5%|
|• 65 or older||18.1%|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
|Municipal tax rate||21%|
It is located in the province of Oulu and is part of the Northern Ostrobothnia region. The municipality has a population of 7,597 (31 March 2016) and covers an area of 587.79 square kilometres (226.95 sq mi) of which 10.01 km2 (3.86 sq mi) is water. The population density is 12.93 inhabitants per square kilometre (33.5/sq mi). Neighbouring municipalities are Alavieska, Haapavesi, Merijärvi, Pyhäjoki, Raahe and Ylivieska.
In addition to the town center, the municipality includes the villages of Kilpua, Lehtopää, Matkaniva, Petäjäskoski, Piipsjärvi and Honkaranta.
Notable annual events include the National Veteran Machines Fair (Waltakunnalliset Weteraanikonepäivät) and Oulainen Music Weeks (Oulaisten Musiikkiviikot). Oulainen Music Weeks were organized for the twentieth time in 2006. The Oulainen Youth Choir (Oulaisten Nuorisokuoro) has received international acclaim.
- Eeli Erkkilä, Minister and Member of Parliament, Moped champion
- Elsi Hetemäki-Olander, Member of Parliament
- Katja Hänninen, Member of Parliament
- Tapani Tirilä is the master of music and the conductor of the Youth Choir of Oulainen.
- Merja Kiviranta i a triathlonist.
- Katja Küttner is an actress.
- Matti Alatalo is an ice hockey coach.
- Marita Pekkala is a second miss Finland in 1983.
- Pekka Punkeri is a tango prince in 2001.
- Alejandro Tuya is a spanish influencer. EVS in Youth House.
- "Population density by area 1.1.2016". Statistics Finland. Retrieved 12 February 2017.
- "Ennakkoväkiluku sukupuolen mukaan alueittain, maaliskuu.2016" (in Finnish). Statistics Finland. Retrieved 31 March 2016.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- Kotimaisten kielten tutkimuskeskus :: Kuntien nimet
- Waltakunnalliset Weteraanikonepäivät
Media related to Oulainen at Wikimedia Commons
|This Oulu Province location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|