This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (February 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Cover of the first volume of Oumagadoki Zoo
|Written by||Kōhei Horikoshi|
|Magazine||Weekly Shōnen Jump|
|Original run||July 12, 2010 – April 18, 2011|
Oumagadoki Zoo (逢魔ヶ刻動物園, Ōmagadoki Dōbutsuen) and sometimes shortened to Oumazoo is a Japanese shōnen series written and illustrated by Kōhei Horikoshi. It has been serialized in Weekly Shōnen Jump since July 2010, and has been collected into five tankōbon volume as of August 2011. The story follows Hana Aoi, a clumsy teenage girl who works at a zoo to try to improve herself, and also because she loves animals, but she finds out that the zoo has been cursed.
Hana Aoi, a clumsy teenage girl, is known around her school by the nickname "Clumsy-Good for Nothing". One day, she sees a flyer in town about a zoo that needs workers. After she appears there, she discovers that the zoo is keeping strange things, which she realizes after seeing Shiina, the director of the infamous Oumagadoki Zoo. He has been cursed by a ghost rabbit and given the body of a rabbit. In order to get his original body back, he has to show that he does care for animals by gathering every animal from the world and making his own popular zoo.
- Shiina (椎名) - The lunatic, egotistic director of the Oumagadoki Zoo. He has the body of a rabbit after getting cursed by a ghost rabbit when he was a child. Despite his incredibly childish personality, all the animals of the zoo respect him and he care for them and see each one as his friend, going ballistic when they are endangered. His techniques are Rabbit Peace, Jet Carrot, Rabbit W Peace, Rabbit Serve, Rabbit Slap, White Rabbit of Inaba, Rabbit Plunge Peace, and Rabbit Million Peace.
- Hana Aoi (蒼井 華, Aoi Hana) - The clumsy keeper of the Oumagadoki Zoo, taking the job both in order to change herself, and to spend time with animals. She is to be very knowledgeable about the traits and behaviors of various animals, due to her vast love for them.
- Uwabami (ウワバミ) - She is a snake. When transformed thanks to Shiina's smoke, she bears a resemblance to Medusa. She has a crush on Shiina. Uwabami is also a character in Horikoshi’s later work, My Hero Academia.
- Oogami (大上, Ōgami) - He is a dhole (red wolf). Although not as powerful as Shiina or Shishido, he is cunning in battle.
- Shishido (シシド) - He is a lion. His technique is the Lion Heart, as inspired by Shiina's "Rabbit Peace". An extremely violent young lion, he constantly fights Shiina for the position of director of the zoo, but gets defeated easily.
- Gorilla Kong (ゴリラコング, Gorira Kongu) - He is a gorilla, as his name states. Even when transformed, his appearance doesn't change. His technique is the Gorilla Claw.
- Igarashi (イガラシ) - He is a spotted seal. He tends to get kidnapped easily and is a gentleman.
- Chita (知多) - He is a cheetah. He is overweight, but with help from Hana, starts to exercise again.
- Kasai (加西) - He is an Indian rhinoceros. He has a one-sided crush on Uwabami.
- Takahiro (タカヒロ) - He is a white-tailed eagle.
- Popo (ポポ) - He is a hippopotamus.
- Umemura (梅村) - He is an American bison.
- Arai (新井) - She is a raccoon.
- Kameda (亀田) - He is a Galapagos tortoise. When transformed, his shell resembles a monster's face. As a tortoise, his weakness is lack of speed.
- Kisazou (岐佐蔵, Kisazō) - He is an African elephant.
- Hani-Wani (ハニワニ) - He is a Nile crocodile.
- Chouda (町田, Chōda) - He is an ostrich.
- Fukumoto (福本) - She is a snowy owl.
- Iwao (岩尾) - He is a western rockhopper penguin.
- Kirishima (桐島) - He is a giraffe.
- Momo (モモ) - He is a Japanese giant flying squirrel.
- Tetetete (テテテテ) - He is a white-handed gibbon.
- Arashi (アラシ) - He is an African porcupine.
- Old Man Armadi (アルマジ老師, Arumaji Rōshi) - He is a Brazilian three-banded armadillo.
- Blackbuck Man (ブラックバックマン, Burakkubakku Man) - He is a blackbuck.
- Isana (伊佐奈) - The director of the Ushimitsudoki Aquarium, an aquarium in the city of Ushimitsu, neighboring Omaga. Shares a curse similar to Shiina and can take the form of a sperm whale. He is feared by the aquarium animals for his ruthless treatment, working them to near death and killing those that refuse to work.
Techniques: Click: Due to his cursed whale form, Isana is able to generate ultrasound, which can paralyze animals.
- Sakamata (サカマタ) - He is an orca and No. 2 of the Ushimitsudoki Aquarium.
- Kaizou (カイゾウ, Kaizō) - He is a walrus and No. 3 of the Ushimitsudoki Aquarium.
- Dholak (ドーラク, Dōraku) - He is a Japanese spider crab and No. 4 of the Ushimitsudoki Aquarium.
- Ikkaku (一角) - He is a narwhal and No. 5 of the Ushimitsudoki Aquarium.
- Fuka (フカ) - He is a great white shark and No. 6 of the Ushimitsudoki Aquarium.
- Tekka Maki (鉄火マキ) - She is a tuna and No. 7 of the Ushimitsudoki Aquarium.
- Devilfish (デビルフィッシュ, Debirufisshu) - He is a common octopus and No. 8 of the Ushimitsudoki Aquarium.
- Tsubo (ツボ) - He is a moray eel.
- Hiero Michinoke (道乃家 日枝狼, Michinoke Hierō) - The director of the Yatsudoki Circus.
- Yu Kikuchi (菊池 悠, Kikuchi Yū) - The new member of the Yatsudoki Circus.
- Taro Suzuki (鈴木 太郎, Suzuki Tarō) - The animal trainer of the Yatsudoki Circus.
- Shikuma (志久万) - The total ruler of the Yatsudoki Circus. Like Shiina and Isana, he shares a curse and can take the form of a brown bear.
- Toytoy (トイトイ, Toitoi) - She is a toy poodle.
- Byakkov (ビャッコフ, Byakkofu) - He is a white tiger.
- Rodeo (ロデオ) - He is a thoroughbred.
- Mukio Hanauwa (鼻上向夫, Hanauwa Mukio) - The son of Mukanai.
- Mukanai Hanauwa (鼻上向内, Hanauwa Mukanai) - The sponsor president of the Ushimi Construction Works and the father of Mukio.
- Ikumi Hasuda (蓮田 育美, Hasuda Ikumi) - Hana's classmate. She always calls her a useless woman and finds it annoying whenever Hana keeps trying.
- Miura (三浦) - Ikumi's boyfriend.
- Noriko Kuchinashi (梔子 典子, Kuchinashi Noriko) - One of Hana's classmates and friends.
- Sofue (祖父江) -
- Fujio Mizoguchi (溝口 藤夫, Mizoguchi Fujio) - The gym teacher of the school Hana goes to.
Oumagadoki Zoo is written and illustrated by Kōhei Horikoshi. The series was serialized in Weekly Shōnen Jump from July 12, 2010 to April 18, 2011. Shueisha has compiled its individual chapters into five tankōbon volumes. The first volume was published on November 4, 2010 and the last on August 4, 2011.
|No.||Title||Japanese release date||Japanese ISBN|
|1||Welcome to Oumagadoki|
Oumagadoki Ni Irasshai (逢魔ヶ刻にいらっしゃい)
|November 4, 2010||ISBN 978-4-08-870131-8|
|2||Welcome to Ushimitsudoki Aquarium|
Ushimitsudoki Suizokukan E Irasshai (丑三ッ時水族館へいらっしゃい)
|December 29, 2010||ISBN 978-4-08-870167-7|
|3||Zoo vs. Aquarium, The Conclusion|
Doubutsuen baasasu Suizokukan, Ketchaku (動物園 ＶＳ 水族館, 決着)
|March 4, 2011||ISBN 978-4-08-870195-0|
|4||Welcome to Yatsudoki Circus|
Yatsudoki Saakasu E Irasshai (ヤツドキサーカスへいらっしゃい)
|June 3, 2011||ISBN 978-4-08-870226-1|
|5||-||August 4, 2011||ISBN 978-4-08-870275-9|
- chapter 7
- chapter 1
- chapter 11
- "ジャンプ新連載は奇妙な動物園描く「逢魔ヶ刻動物園」". Natalie (in Japanese). July 12, 2010. Retrieved August 19, 2019.
- "べるぜバブ連載2周年で人気投票開催！次号、古舘春一登場". Natalie (in Japanese). April 18, 2011. Retrieved August 19, 2019.
- 逢魔ヶ刻動物園 1 [Ōmagadoki Dōbutsuen 1] (in Japanese). Shueisha. Retrieved November 4, 2010.
- 逢魔ヶ刻動物園 5 [Ōmagadoki Dōbutsuen 5] (in Japanese). Shueisha. Retrieved July 28, 2011.
- 逢魔ヶ刻動物園 2 [Ōmagadoki Dōbutsuen 2] (in Japanese). Shueisha. Retrieved December 29, 2010.
- 逢魔ヶ刻動物園 3 [Ōmagadoki Dōbutsuen 3] (in Japanese). Shueisha. Retrieved March 4, 2011.
- 逢魔ヶ刻動物園 4 [Ōmagadoki Dōbutsuen 4] (in Japanese). Shueisha. Retrieved July 28, 2011.
- Shonen Jump Ōmagadoki Dōbutsuen Manga Serialization Page (in Japanese)
- Oumagadoki Zoo (manga) at Anime News Network's encyclopedia