Our Lady of Lourdes Cathedral, Thrissur
|Our Lady of Lourdes Syro-Malabar Catholic Metropolitan Cathedral|
Front facade of Our Lady of Lourdes Metropolitan Cathedral
|Dedication||Our Lady of Lourdes|
|Archdiocese||Syro-Malabar Catholic Archdiocese of Thrissur|
|Archbishop||Mar Andrews Thazhath|
febin KuthurSijo Puthur
Our Lady of Lourdes Syro-Malabar Catholic Metropolitan Cathedral, one of the largest churches in Kerala, is located in the heart of Thrissur City in the state of Kerala, India. Dedicated to Our Lady of Lourdes, the Syro-Malabar Catholic church is noted for its imposing interior. The main attraction is an underground shrine, considered a masterpiece of architectural design. Fr John Maliekkal is said to have planned and constructed this church. The exterior of the church features an Indo-European facade with pink spires. The centenary of this church was celebrated during the historic visit of Pope John Paul II to Thrissur City in 1986. The cathedral church attracts thousands of pilgrims every month.
- 1875: A new Syrian Catholic Church was founded in Thrissur; the Marth-Mariyam Valiyapalli erected in 1814 was occupied by Protestants. (For this and following material.) 
- 1885: Establishment of our Lady of Lourdes Church (for Syro-Malabar Catholics)
- 1887: Erection of the vicariate Apostolic of Trichur (May 20) with Mgr. Adolphus Medlycott as the first Vicar Apostolic.
- 1891: Elevation of the Lourdes Church as the Cathedral of the Vicariate of Trichur in exchange for the 1875 Syrian Church for Roman Catholics.
- 1896: Elevation of Mgr. John Menachery (Cathedral Vicar) to the Status of Vicar Apostolic.
- 1923: Elevation of Trichur as Diocese, with Mar Francis Vazhappilly as the first Bishop.
- 1934: Blessing of the chapel near main gate.
- 1952: Blessing of the Chapel in the crypt 75’x 50’
- 1957: Blessing of the present cathedral by Mar George Alappatt.
- 1986: Episcopal consecration of the statue of Our Lady of Lourdes. A solemn conclusion of centenary celebration of the Diocese and of its Cathedral by Pope John Paul II during His Apostolic Visit to Thrissur February 7.
- 1995: Elevation of Trichur as a Metropolitan See, and Lourdes Church as the Metropolitan Cathedral.
- 1996: Blessing of the Centenary Hall.
- 1997: Installation of Mar Jacob Thoomkuzhy Metropolitan Archbishop of Trichur.
- 1998: Blessing of Cemetery Chapel .
- 2004: Episcopal ordination of Mar Andrews Thazhath, the first Auxiliary Bishop of Trichur.
- "Our Lady of Lourdes Metropolitan Cathedral, Trichur, Kerala, India (Syro-Malabar)". www.gcatholic.org. Retrieved 2016-11-19.
- "Lourdes Cathedral Thrissur, Kerala, India", Official Web site
- Archdiocese of Thrissur
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Our Lady of Lourdes Metropolitan Cathedral.|