Our Lady of Wisdom Cathedral, Butare
|Our Lady of Wisdom Cathedral|
|Cathédrale Notre-Dame de la Sagesse|
|Denomination||Roman Catholic Church|
The Our Lady of Wisdom (French: Cathédrale Notre-Dame de la Sagesse) or simply Cathedral of Butare, is the name given to a religious building belonging to the Catholic Church and is located in the town of Butare, in the southern part of the African country of Rwanda.
It is the largest cathedral in the nation, which was built in the 1930s when Butare was the colonial capital to commemorate the life of Astrid of Sweden Queen consort of the Belgians until 1935.
The cathedral follows the Roman or Latin rite and serves as the seat of the Diocese of Butare (Dioecesis Butarensis) which was erected in 1961 by Pope John XXIII by bula Gaudet sanctum.
- "Cathedral in Butare, Rwanda". Archived from the original on 2014-02-21. Retrieved 2016-08-01.
- "Net Press". www.netpress.bi. Retrieved 2016-04-25.
- Vanier, Jean (2010-06-21). Living Gently in a Violent World (Large Print 16pt). ReadHowYouWant.com. ISBN 9781458756091.
- Planet, Lonely. "Cathedral - Lonely Planet". Lonely Planet. Retrieved 2016-04-25.
- "Congregation worshipping in the Notre Dame de la Sagesse Cathedral in Butare". felixfeatures.photoshelter.com. Retrieved 2016-04-25.
|This article on a Catholic church building is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|