Our Town (1940 film)
This article needs a plot summary. (November 2016)
|Directed by||Sam Wood|
|Produced by||Sol Lesser|
|Written by||Harry Chandlee|
|Based on||Our Town by Thornton Wilder|
|Music by||Aaron Copland|
|Edited by||Sherman Todd|
Sol Lesser Productions
|Distributed by||United Artists|
Our Town is a 1940 American drama romance film adaptation of a play of the same name by Thornton Wilder starring Martha Scott as Emily Webb, and William Holden as George Gibbs. The cast also included Fay Bainter, Beulah Bondi, Thomas Mitchell, Guy Kibbee and Frank Craven. It was adapted by Harry Chandlee, Craven and Wilder, and directed by Sam Wood.
The film was a faithful reproduction of the play except for two significant changes: the film used scenery, whereas the play had not; the events of the third act, which in the play revolve around the death of one of the main characters, were turned into a dream from which Emily awakens — she is then able to resume a normal life. Producer Sol Lesser worked with Wilder in creating these changes.
A radio adaptation of the film on Lux Radio Theater on May 6, 1940, used the altered film ending.
The U.S. copyright of the film was not renewed after its first term expired in 1968. However, because it is a derivative work from a play that is still under U.S. copyright, it is not deemed to be in the public domain.
- William Holden - George Gibbs
- Martha Scott - Emily Webb
- Fay Bainter - Mrs. Julia Gibbs
- Dix Davis - Joe Crowell Jr.
- Beulah Bondi - Mrs. Myrtle Webb
- Thomas Mitchell - Dr. Frank F. Gibbs
- Guy Kibbee - Mr. Charles Webb
- Tim Davis - Si Crowell
- Stuart Erwin - Howie Newsome
- Frank Craven - Stage Manager
- Doro Merande - Mrs. Louella Soames
- Philip Wood - Simon Stimson
- Ruth Tobey - Rebecca Gibbs (as Ruth Toby)
- Douglas Gardiner - Wally Webb
- Arthur B. Allen - Prof. Willard (as Arthur Allen)
- Charles Trowbridge - Rev. Dr. Ferguson
- Spencer Charters - Const. Bill Warren
The film was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Picture. Scott, who reprised her stage role as Emily Webb, was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Actress. Aaron Copland was nominated for Best Score and Thomas T. Moulton was nominated for Best Sound.
- "NY Times: Our Town". NY Times. Retrieved 2008-12-13.
- "The 13th Academy Awards (1941) Nominees and Winners". oscars.org. Retrieved 2011-08-13.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Our Town (1940 film).|