Out of Tears
|"Out of Tears"|
|Single by The Rolling Stones|
|from the album Voodoo Lounge|
|Released||28 November 1994|
|Recorded||July - December 1993|
5:27 (Album version)
|Label||Rolling Stones, Virgin|
|Producer(s)||Don Was, The Glimmer Twins|
|The Rolling Stones singles chronology|
Description and history
The song was recorded in 1993 and '94 at Ronnie Wood's Ireland home, Sandymount Studios, and A&M Recording Studios in Los Angeles. The song features Mick Jagger on lead vocals and acoustic guitar, Wood and Keith Richards on electric guitars (Wood performs the guitar solo,) Charlie Watts on drums, Darryl Jones on bass, Chuck Leavell on piano, Benmont Tench on organ, and percussion by Lenny Castro.
The song is credited to Jagger and Richards, but is largely the work of Jagger. According to Jagger: "I used to say, 'Now we're writing songs. I'm gonna sit at my desk.' 'Out of Tears' was a little bit like that, where I'm sitting at the piano in Ronnie [Wood]'s studio going 'Da da ding, da da ding.' Then you go and listen to it, and it's got this really good mood because it's you on your own. No one else is there, and you're creating the mood. There's a very sad mood to that song. The Stones are mainly a guitar band, but I think with a ballad sometimes it's nice to move away from that. And when a song is written on a keyboard, you get a different sort of melodic structure."
- "Out of Tears" (Don Was Edit) – 4:21
- "I'm Gonna Drive" (LP version) – 3:41
- "Sparks Will Fly" (radio clean) – 3:14
- "Out of Tears" (Bob Clearmountain Remix Edit) – 4:21
- "So Young" – 3:23
|Netherlands (Single Top 100)||37|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||36|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||36|
|US Billboard Hot 100||60|
- "Out of Tears". Last.fm.
- "Out of Tears". Time Is On Our Side. Retrieved 17 August 2006.
- "Australian-charts.com – The Rolling Stones – Out of Tears". ARIA Top 50 Singles. Retrieved 18 June 2016.
- "Lescharts.com – The Rolling Stones – Out of Tears" (in French). Les classement single. Retrieved 18 June 2016.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – The Rolling Stones – Out of Tears" (in Dutch). Single Top 100. Retrieved 18 June 2016.
- "Charts.org.nz – The Rolling Stones – Out of Tears". Top 40 Singles. Retrieved 18 June 2016.
- "Rolling Stones: Artist Chart History" Official Charts Company. Retrieved 18 June 2016.
- "The Rolling Stones – Chart history" Billboard Hot 100 for The Rolling Stones. Retrieved 18 June 2016.