The Outback Highway or Outback Way is a series of roads and dirt tracks linking Winton, Queensland and Laverton, Western Australia. At 2,700 km (1,678 mi), it crosses Central Australia (colloquially known as the Outback), passing through Queensland, the Northern Territory and Western Australia.
Roads that make up the highway are:
- Great Central Road
- Gunbarrel Highway
- Lasseter Highway
- Stuart Highway
- Plenty Highway
- Donohue Highway
- Kennedy Development Road
Support for the project is strong amongst local government areas along the route and elsewhere. The project has secured over $400M 80% Federal funding and 20% from WA, NT & Qld governments. As at June 2021 there is 1200km to seal.
|Warburton||554||344||Connie Sue Highway – Rawlinna|
|Ngaanyatjarraku||Warakurna / Giles||781||485||Old Gunbarrel Highway – Carnegie|
|807||501||Gunbarrel Highway – Pipalyatjara, South Australia|
|Western Australia – Northern Territory border||Western Australia – Northern Territory border||Great Central Road in Western Australia|
Tjukaruru Road in Northern Territory
|Northern Territory||MacDonnell Region||Docker River||870||540|
|unincorporated area||Yulara||1,110||690||Tjukaruru Road|
Lasseter Highway (state route 4)
|MacDonnell Region||Erldunda||1,398||869||Stuart Highway (National Highway 87) – Adelaide, Darwin|| Lasseter Highway (state route 4)|
Stuart Highway (National Highway 87)
|Alice Springs||Alice Springs||1,550||960|
|Burt Plain||1,620||1,010||Stuart Highway (National Highway 87)|| Stuart Highway (National Highway 87)|
Plenty Highway (State Route 12)
See map of Burt Plain
|Northern Territory – Queensland border||2,120||1,320||Northern Territory – Queensland border|| Plenty Highway (State Route 12)|
|Queensland||Boulia||Boulia||2,365||1,470||Diamantina Developmental Road (National route 83)||Donohue Highway|
Kennedy Developmental Road (State Route 62)
|Winton||Winton||2,727||1,694||Landsborough Highway (Route A2) - Longreach||northeastern end of the Outback Way|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi|
- Highways in Australia
- List of highways in the Northern Territory
- List of highways in Queensland
- List of highways in Western Australia
- Morris, Nathan (3 October 2016). "The Outback Way: What a sealed road from WA to Queensland will mean for regional communities". ABC News. Australian Broadcasting Corporation. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- BSD Consultants.(1998) Outback Highway feasibility study : final report / prepared for Main Roads Western Australia, Northern Territory Department of Transport and Works, and Main Roads Queensland ; prepared by BSD Consultants Pty. Ltd. Subiaco, WA "March 1998"
- "Councils back outback highway push". ABC News. Australian Broadcasting Corporation. 23 June 2011. Retrieved 25 August 2011.
- Google (23 January 2017). "Outback Highway" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 23 January 2017.
- Google (1 August 2017). "Burt Plain, Northern Territory" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 1 August 2017.