Outcasts (Marvel Comics Subterranea)
The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's general notability guideline. (August 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|First appearance||Fantastic Four Annual #13|
|Created by||Bill Mantlo (writer)|
Sal Buscema (artist)
The Outcasts first appeared in Fantastic Four Annual #13 (1978). The superhuman members of the Outcasts first appeared in Marvel Treasury Edition #25 (1980) and were created by Bill Mantlo and Sal Buscema. The Outcasts subsequently appear in ROM #28 (March 1982) and Iron Man Annual #12 (1991).
The Outcasts are people who are ugly, deformed, or disabled who believe themselves to be outcasts in human society and have therefore chosen to live under the Mole Man's rule in Subterranea. The Mole Man has granted superhuman powers to a number of the Outcasts. They were first used in Mole Man's fight with Kala: Mistress of the Netherworld. This conflict drew the attention of Hulk and Spider-Man which led to Mole Man and Kala calling a truce.
During the threat of the Dire Wraiths in Clairton, West Virginia, the Outcasts and other agents of the Mole Man fought against Rom until the Dire Wraiths revealed themselves. Both sides worked together against the Dire Wraiths until Rom banished them to Limbo.
In the midst of the war in Subterranea when Mole Man went missing, Kala left for the surface to find help in fighting Mole Man's forces and she ran into Iron Man. Mole Man sent the Outcasts to bring Kala back to Subterranea. In addition, the Netherworlders sought to kill Kala for her past actions. Digger and Landslide assisted Iron Man in fighting off the Netherworlders who wanted Kala to become their leader again. She turned them down as she is right now interested in finding Mole Man.
- Boulder - Boulder has superhuman strength and durability. His current whereabouts is unknown.
- Digger - Digger can slice through most substances with his clawed hands. His current whereabouts are unknown.
- Landslide - Landslide can induce shattering internal vibrations within a person or object by touching it. This includes the ability to create earthquake tremors. His current whereabouts are unknown.
- Water Witch  - Water Witch controls water with a wand. She can also project ice, water or steam. She was briefly a member of the Femizons. Her current whereabouts are unknown.
- Marvel Treasury Edition #25. Marvel Comics.
- Rom #28. Marvel Comics.
- Iron Man Annual #12. Marvel Comics.
- Outcasts at the Appendix to the Handbook of the Marvel Universe