|Picture format||1080i HDTV|
(downscaled to letterboxed 480i for the SDTV feed)
|Owner||Outdoor Sportsman Group|
(Kroenke Sports & Entertainment)
AMC Networks International
(EMEA region distributor)
|Sister channels||Sportsman Channel|
World Fishing Network
|Launched||April 1, 1994|
|Closed||January 1, 2019 (Malaysia)|
|Former names||The Outdoor Channel (1994–2007)|
|Digital terrestrial television (United States)||Channel 6.7 (Alexandria, Minnesota)|
|Service(s)||7plus, DirecTV Stream, Frndly TV, Fubo TV, Sling TV|
Outdoor Channel is an American pay television channel focused on the outdoors, offering programming that includes hunting, fishing, Western lifestyle, off-road motorsports and adventure. The network can be viewed on multiple platforms including high definition, video on demand as well as on its own website. In 2013, Outdoor Channel was acquired by Kroenke Sports Enterprises.
As of February 2015, Outdoor Channel is available to approximately 35.8 million pay television households (30.8% of households with television) in the United States. In December 2013, the Outdoor Channel was planned to relocate to Colorado from its current location of Temecula, California, supported by Colorado Economic Development Commission.
On January 1, 2019, Outdoor Channel ceased broadcasting in Malaysia due to low popularity, then relaunch in March 2021 on different TV provider, Sirius TV. On August 1, 2021, Outdoor Channel ceased broadcasting in EMEA.
The programming in Asia is fairly different from the U.S. and it has lesser hunting content and more travel and adventure series.
The most popular survival series are Running Wild with Bear Grylls, Beyond Survival with Les Stroud, Could You Survive, and So You Think You Could Survive.
In April 2022, Outdoor Channel had partnered with Water Bear Network on the Earth Day to bring in some exclusive environmental protection content in Asia.
It also aired various ocean documentaries like A Plastic Ocean, Ocean Secrets and Ocean Plastic Cleanup Trainee.
The network's primetime lineup is themed with each evening; fishing is featured on Mondays, with hunting on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays, gun-specific programming on Wednesdays, and Hollywood films on Friday and Saturday nights.
- American Archer with Tom Nelson
- Benelli's American Birdhunter with Tom Knapp
- The Brigade: Race to the Hudson
- Carter's W.A.R. Wild Animal Response
- Duck Dynasty (reruns)
- Flying Wild Alaska
- Gold Fever with George and Tom Massie
- Gun Stories hosted by Joe Mantegna
- GunnyTime with R. Lee Ermey
- The Hunt for Monster Bass
- Jim Shockey's Hunting Adventures
- Jim Shockey's Uncharted
- Major League Fishing
- Midway USA's Rapid Fire with Iain Harrison and Mike Seeklander
- Mossy Oak's Hunting the Country
- On Your Own Adventures Hosted by Randy Newberg
- Realtree Road Trips with Michael Waddell
- Rubber Foot Buffalo Adventures with Mark Holt
- Shawn Michaels' MacMillan River Adventures with Shawn Michaels and Keith Mark
- Shooting Gallery hosted and produced by Michael Bane
- Shooting USA hosted by Jim Scoutten
- Steve's Outdoor Adventures with Steve West
- Ted Nugent's Spirit of the Wild hosted by Ted Nugent
- Trev Gowdy's Monster Fish
- Western Extreme with Jim Burnworth
- Wild Ops hosted by Ole Alcumbrac
- Winchester's World of Whitetail hosted by Rom Spomer
An HD feed of the channel was launched in 2004, with the name of Outdoor Channel 2 HD; it used to broadcast different programming in contrast with the SD channel, until it turned into a simulcast feed and rebranded simply to "Outdoor Channel HD". It currently broadcasts at 1080i and it is carried by most subscription providers. It was the first outdoor pay-TV network in June 2010 to offer a schedule solely made up of HD-filmed content.
Outdoor Channel mobilized 2,500 volunteers in September 2010 as part of its Conservation Tour of Duty for its Outdoor Channel Corps initiative. It is a philanthropic program that aims to improve public lands and spaces in order to ensure that the outdoor lifestyle thrives in America. Timed around National Public Lands Day, Outdoor Channel Corps deployed volunteers to a total of eight sites, where the network worked on restoration and improvement projects with partners and affiliates like Comcast, Time Warner, Boy Scouts of America, and the National Park Service.
- INDUSTRY: Outdoor Channel sale to Kroenke closes
- Seidman, Robert (February 22, 2015). "List of how many homes each cable network is in as of February 2015". TV by the Numbers. Zap2it. Archived from the original on February 23, 2015. Retrieved March 14, 2015.
- Knox, David (7 March 2019). "7plus adds two new US live streaming channels". TV Tonight.
- Outdoor Channel's Biggest Summer Ever: America's Leader In Outdoor TV Reveals 100% HD, Riveting, Star-Packed Third Quarter Programming Lineup Archived 2012-10-05 at the Wayback Machine The Street June 24, 2010
- Outdoor Channel Program Turns Out 2,500 Volunteers AmmoLand Shooting Sports News September 29, 2010
- Outdoor Channel highlights effort to save Pouch Camp Staten Island Advance September 25, 2010