|Author||Sean Parnell, John R. Bruning|
After receiving his commission through the Army Reserve Officers' Training Corps program at Duquesne University, Parnell led 3rd Platoon, B Company, 2nd Battalion, 87th Infantry Regiment, 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 10th Mountain Division. The company was based near the Pakistani border in Barmal District of Paktika Province on an extended 16-month deployment. After the deployment, Parnell was awarded two Bronze Star Medals and a Purple Heart. Parnell left duty as a lieutenant and retired as a captain. Parnell's coauthor, military historian John R. Bruning, embedded himself with a unit in Afghanistan in 2010 in preparation for writing the book.
- Michelle Kennedy (1 March 2012). "Outlaw: Former infantry officer shares experiences, pledges to help others". U.S. Army. Retrieved 11 January 2014.
- Torsten Ove (26 February 2012). "'Outlaw Platoon': Murrysville native describes the Afghan war he fought". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved 11 January 2014.
- "Outlaw Platoon". Kirkus Reviews. 16 January 2012. Retrieved 8 January 2014.
- Brandon Long (18 December 2013). "Cadets discuss "Outlaw Platoon" with author". United States Military Academy. Retrieved 8 January 2014.
- "Sean Parnell: Outlaw Platoon". pritzkermilitary.org.