Outrigger Hotels & Resorts
This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (November 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Founder||Roy and Estelle Kelley|
Number of locations
|Hawaii, Asia, Australia, Oceania|
Outrigger Hotels is a Honolulu-based hotel chain and management company operating a multi-branded line of hotels, condominiums and vacation resort properties in Hawaii and the Asia-Pacific region.
The company was founded by Roy and Estelle Kelley who opened their first hotel in 1947. Roy Kelley was an architect for Charles William Dickey and worked on many of Honolulu's landmark buildings, including the Immigration Station, Montegue Hall at Punahou School, the main building of the old Halekulani Hotel and the former Waikiki Theater.
In 1963, Roy Kelley bought the old Outrigger Canoe Club from the Queen Emma Estate and built the Outrigger Waikiki in this site. In 1967, the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach hotel opened, the first to carry the Outrigger name. During the seventies, Outrigger grew into a chain of Hawaiian hotels. In 1982, the company purchased the Prince Kuhio Hotel, its first luxury property. By 1986, Outrigger became the largest hotel chain in Hawaii when its room count pushed over 7,000. In 1989, Outrigger took over the Royal Waikoloan Hotel, and in 1993, the Kauai Hilton became the Outrigger Kauai Beach. In 1996, Outrigger opened its first hotel outside the United States, the Outrigger Marshall Islands Resort.
In 1999, Outrigger spun off 15 of its hotels to create the hotel chain OHANA Hotels and Resorts, a brand of more moderately priced three-star properties, while keeping the Outrigger brand for its higher-end four-star and luxury properties. OHANA is a Hawaiian word meaning "family". By 2018, there were only two remaining OHANA Hotels.
In March 2016, Outrigger sold its four Australian hotels to the Mantra Group. In November 2016, the company entered into an agreement to be acquired by an affiliate of KSL Capital Partners, a Denver, Colorado-based firm that specializes in travel and leisure investments. Outrigger's portfolio includes 38 hotels, condominiums and vacation resort properties operated, owned and managed. Jeff Wagoner joined the company as president and CEO, effective April 26, 2018. KSL Resorts Co-founder and CEO Scott Dalecio, who was serving as Outrigger’s interim CEO since early 2017, was appointed executive chairman of the global hospitality brand.
Properties and Brands
Outrigger Hotels and Resorts
- Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort
- Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort
- OHANA Waikiki East by Outrigger
- OHANA Waikiki Malia by Outrigger
- Airport Honolulu Hotel
- Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort
- Castaway Island, Fiji
- Outrigger Guam Beach Resort
Asia and Indian Ocean
- Outrigger Mauritius Beach Resort
- Outrigger Konotta Maldives Resort
- Outrigger Laguna Phuket Beach Resort
- Outrigger Koh Samui Beach Resort
- Outrigger Vinh Hoi Resort and Spa
Hawaii Vacation Condos by Outrigger
Hawaii (Big Island)
- Kanaloa at Kona by Outrigger
- Royal Sea Cliff Kona by Outrigger
- Fairway Villas Waikoloa by Outrigger
- Kohala Coast Vacation Rentals by Outrigger
- Kiahuna Plantation Resort Kauai by Outrigger
- Lae Nani Resort Kauai by Outrigger
- Waipouli Beach Resort & Spa Kauai by Outrigger
- Palms at Wailea Maui by Outrigger
- Aina Nalu® Lahaina by Outrigger
- Maui Eldorado Kaanapali℠ by Outrigger
- Royal Kahana Maui by Outrigger
- Napili Shores Maui by Outrigger
- The Kapalua Villas Maui
- Waikiki Shore by Outrigger
- Regency on Beachwalk Waikiki by Outrigger
The company's most recent initiative is Waikiki Beach Walk, a $535 million, 8-acre (32,000 m2) hotel-retail-entertainment complex, billed by the company as the largest development in the history of Waikiki, which opened in December 2006.
- "Outrigger Hotels & Resorts, The Story of Roy and Estelle Kelley". Monolith.com. Retrieved 4 October 2017.
- "Outrigger sets new brand direction with focus on resorts and vacation condos". Webintravel.com. 30 September 2014. Retrieved 4 October 2017.
- "Outrigger acquires two Fiji properties". Hospitalitynet.org. 4 February 2014. Retrieved 4 October 2017.
- "Outrigger Hotels and Resorts Australia hotels sold to Mantra Group". Eturbonews.com. 19 March 2015. Retrieved 4 October 2017.
- "What We Do | KSL Capital Partners". www.kslcapital.com. Retrieved 2017-08-04.
- Allison Schaefers (8 November 2016). "Outrigger Hotels sold to Denver-based KSL Capital Partners". Staradvertiser.com. Retrieved 4 October 2017.
- Waikiki Beach Walk