|Editor-in-Chief||Lawrence J. Burke|
|First issue||September 1977|
|Based in||Santa Fe, New Mexico|
Outside is an American magazine focused on the outdoors. The first issue was published in September 1977. Its mission statement is "to inspire active participation in the world outside through award-winning coverage of the sports, people, places, adventure, discoveries, health and fitness, gear and apparel, trends and events that make up an active lifestyle."
Its founders were Jann Wenner (the first editor in chief), William Randolph Hearst III (its first managing editor), and Jack Ford (an assistant to founding publisher Donald Welsh and a son of former U.S. President Gerald Ford). Wenner sold the magazine to current owner Lawrence J. Burke two years later. Christopher Keyes is the current editor.
Outside launched the careers of Sebastian Junger, Jon Krakauer, and other freelance travel and adventure writers. Though the magazine has tilted toward a more commercial aesthetic in recent years, it has also recruited figures from the literary world for freelance assignments. Writers whose work has appeared in Outside include Bruce Barcott, Tim Cahill, Daniel Coyle, E. Annie Proulx, naturalist and author David Quammen, and Bob Shacochis. Songwriter David Berkeley also worked for Outside.
- "eCirc for Consumer Magazines". Alliance for Audited Media. June 30, 2012. Retrieved December 2, 2012.
- "List of Top 10 Best Sports Magazines of All time". Sporty Ghost. 3 March 2015. Retrieved 12 February 2016.
- "Our Mission". OutsideOnline. Retrieved 18 April 2016.
- Dougherty, Philip H. (6 May 1977). "Advertising: Outside More Moss for Rolling Stone?". The New York Times. p. 83. Retrieved September 5, 2014.
- Pogrebin, Robin (October 27, 1997). "Outside Magazine Succeeds by Defying Categories". The New York Times. pp. D1, D13. Retrieved October 20, 2013.
- "Mariah Media and Resort Sports Network Partner To Launch The Outside Television Network" (Press release). Outside Television. December 7, 2009. Archived from the original on June 19, 2010.
- Official website
- Chinni, Dante (September–October 1999). "Inside Outside: Can the Magazine Stay on the Mountain?". Columbia Journalism Review 38 (3): 12–13. (Scholar search)
|This lifestyle magazine or journal–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.
See tips for writing articles about magazines. Further suggestions might be found on the article's talk page.