|Editor-in-Chief||Lawrence J. Burke|
|First issue||September 1977|
|Based in||Santa Fe, New Mexico|
Outside is an American company and magazine focused on the outdoors. The first issue of Outside was published in September 1977.
Outside founders were Jann Wenner (the first editor in chief), William Randolph Hearst III (its first managing editor), and Jack Ford (an assistant to founding publisher Donald Welsh and a son of former U.S. President Gerald Ford). Wenner sold Outside to Lawrence J. Burke two years later. Burke merged it into his magazine Mariah (founded in 1976) and after a period of using the name Mariah/Outside kept the Outside name for the merged magazine. Christopher Keyes is the current editor.
Outside, formerly Pocket Outdoor Media, acquired Outside Integrated Media in February 2021. Outside brands include Outside Magazine, Outside Integrated Media, Outside TV, Gaia GPS, athleteReg, Peloton Magazine, Yoga Journal, SKI, Backpacker, VeloNews, Climbing, Rock & Ice, Gym Climber, Trail Runner, Women's Running, Triathlete, Better Nutrition, Bicycle Retailer & Industry News, Clean Eating, Fly Fishing Film Tour, IDEA Health and Fitness Association, Inkwell Media, Muscle & Performance, NASTAR, National Park Trips, NatuRx, Oxygen, PodiumRunner, ROAM Media, Roll Massif, SNEWS, The Voice, Vegetarian Times, VeloPress, VeloSwap, Paleo Mag, Beta, FinisherPix, and Warren Miller Entertainment. Outside, formerly Pocket Outdoor Media, is headquartered in Boulder, with offices in Denver, Carbondale, Easthampton (MA), Frankfurt, New York City, Ojai, San Diego, San Francisco, Santa Fe, and Toronto.
John Askwith, the design director of Outside, launched the careers of Sebastian Junger, Jon Krakauer, and other freelance travel and adventure writers. Though the magazine has tilted toward a more commercial aesthetic in recent years, it has also recruited figures from the literary world for freelance assignments. Writers whose work has appeared in Outside include Bruce Barcott, Tim Cahill, Daniel Coyle, E. Annie Proulx, naturalist and author David Quammen, and Bob Shacochis. Songwriter David Berkeley also worked for Outside.
- "eCirc for Consumer Magazines". Alliance for Audited Media. June 30, 2012. Archived from the original on January 23, 2017. Retrieved December 2, 2012.
- "List of Top 10 Best Sports Magazines of All time". Sporty Ghost. 3 March 2015. Retrieved 12 February 2016.
- Dougherty, Philip H. (6 May 1977). "Advertising: Outside More Moss for Rolling Stone?". The New York Times. p. 83. Retrieved September 5, 2014.
- Pogrebin, Robin (October 27, 1997). "Outside Magazine Succeeds by Defying Categories". The New York Times. pp. D1, D13. Retrieved October 20, 2013.
- "Outside Magazine Staff". Outside. Retrieved November 4, 2021.
- "Pocket Outdoor Media Closes Major Acquisitions, Rebrands as Outside". SNEWS. February 22, 2021. Retrieved February 22, 2021.
- "Santa Fe-based 'Outside' magazine sold to Pocket Outdoor Media of Colorado". Santa Fe New Mexican. February 22, 2021. Retrieved February 22, 2021.
- "Outside Inc. acquires two new media brands". Outside Business Journal. November 4, 2021. Retrieved November 4, 2021.
- "Mariah Media and Resort Sports Network Partner To Launch The Outside Television Network" (Press release). Outside Television. December 7, 2009. Archived from the original on June 19, 2010.