|Single by The Vines|
|from the album Highly Evolved|
|Released||18 November 2002|
|Recorded||July 2001–February 2002|
|Studio||The Sound Factory, Hollywood, California|
|Label||Engine Room, EMI/Capitol|
|The Vines singles chronology|
"Outtathaway" (also stylised as "Outthaway!") is the third single by Australian alternative rockers, the Vines, from their debut album, Highly Evolved (July 2002). It was released in Australia as a radio edit single via Engine Room Music/EMI on 18 November 2002, which peaked at No. 38 on the ARIA Singles Chart. It is the Vines' highest charting single and was written by the group's lead singer and guitarist, Craig Nicholls. The song was used in the feature film, Bruce Almighty (May 2003), but was not included on the official movie soundtrack album.
Australian cd single version 1
Australian cd single version 2
- "Don't Go" – 2:52
- "Get Free" (Live at Reading Festival) – 2:41
- "Highly Evolved" (Recorded live at Triple J)
The music video, directed by David LaChapelle, sees the band in a club, playing in front of a debauched crowd (notably, the video starts with one fan slapping his own face with a sneaker). During the song, Nicholls drifts around the microphone slashing at his guitar while gig-goers drink and dive off balconies and crowd surf. The video grows more frantic and feverish as the song progresses, with the camera occasionally cutting to images of Nicholls and friends stumbling around the halls, destroying dressing rooms and break dancing in the toilets. During the video, a girl rushes up on stage to hug Nicholls, who he apparently throws over his shoulder. At the very end, bassist and drummer are swarmed by the crowd, while Nicholls discards his guitar and gives the drum kit a hug.
The Vines played "Outtathaway!" on Top of the Pops and this is the song's most famous live performance.
- Hoard, Christian (2 July 2002). "The Vines: Highly Evolved : Music Reviews". Rolling Stone (901). Archived from the original on 13 May 2007. Retrieved 3 February 2017.
- Hung, Steffen. "Discography The Vines". Australian Charts Portal. Hung Medien. Archived from the original on 23 June 2015. Retrieved 3 February 2017.
- "Week Commencing ~ 25th November 2002 ~ Issue #665" (PDF). The ARIA Report. Australian Recording Industry Association (ARIA) (665): 2–3, 7, 11. 25 November 2002. Archived from the original (PDF) on 7 January 2003. Retrieved 3 February 2017.
- "'Outthaway' at APRA search engine". Australasian Performing Right Association (APRA). Retrieved 3 February 2017. Note: User may have to click "Search again" and provide details at "Enter a title:" e.g. Outthaway; or at "Performer:" Vines
- Phares, Heather. "Bruce Almighty [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack] – John Debney | Songs, Reviews, Credits". AllMusic. Retrieved 3 February 2017.
- "Bruce Almighty Soundtrack and Complete List of Songs". WhatSong. May 2003. Retrieved 3 February 2017.