Ovation (American TV channel)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Slogan||The Power Of Art|
|Picture format||1080i (HDTV)|
(HD feed downgraded to letterboxed 480i for SDTVs)
|Owner||Privately held |
Hubbard Media Group
Corporate Partners II
Arcadia Investment Partners
All News Channel
|Launched||April 21, 1996|
|Former names||Ovation TV (2007–10)|
|Available on some U.S. cable systems||Consult your local cable provider for channel availability|
|DirecTV||Channel 274 (HD/SD)|
Channel 1274 On Demand
|AT&T U-verse||385 (SD)|
|Verizon FiOS||188 (SD)|
Ovation is an American television network whose stated mission is to connect the world to all forms of art and entertainment.
Ovation premiered on April 21, 1996 and was re-launched on June 20, 2007 to a national audience with carriage on DirecTV. Since then, the network has added carriage on AT&T U-verse, Frontier FiOS, Comcast/Xfinity, RCN, Charter (selected markets) and other major cable systems across the country (check local listings). The channel currently reaches approximately 50 million subscribers. Ovation launched an HD service in 2010 and is also available on VOD (in both standard- and high-definition) and via TV Everywhere (authentication) through selected providers.
The channel was launched in 1997 and relaunched in June 2007, coinciding with its addition by DirecTV, which gave the channel full national coverage. In 2008, Ovation also became available on Dish Network. With the relaunch, Ovation TV claimed an "energetic" new look and a new primetime schedule revolving around "genre nights" dedicated to performance, people, art, music and film. On March 1, 2010, the channel dropped the "TV" from its name in a rebranding effort.
On December 18, 2012, Time Warner Cable announced plans to remove Ovation from its own systems as well as those operated by Bright House Networks (for which TWC negotiates carriage agreements). Time Warner Cable and Bright House dropped Ovation at midnight Eastern Time on December 31, 2012. The two providers later reached an agreement to resume carriage of Ovation on October 16, 2013, reinstating the channel on TWC and Bright House systems on January 1, 2014.
On April 6, 2015, Dish Network removed it from the lineup.
Ovation HD is a high definition simulcast feed of Ovation, which broadcasts in the 1080i resolution format; it was launched in July 2010. Ovation HD is currently available on DirecTV, Comcast, Time Warner Cable, Bright House Networks, Verizon FiOS, and AT&T U-verse.
Ovation programming is a mix of original and old television series, films, documentaries and specials, targeting a multi-generational audience of women (or females), 40 and older.
In 2013, Ovation announced the exclusive US premiere of A Young Doctor's Notebook, a four-part scripted series starring Jon Hamm and Daniel Radcliffe, and launched the exclusive US premiere of The Artful Detective, (known in Canada and elsewhere as Murdoch Mysteries), now in its twelfth season, with season 13 premiering in 2019. In 2013, the network also premiered The Art Of which returned with season 4 in 2015.
Original series premiering in 2014 included The Fashion Fund, starring Anna Wintour and Diane von Fürstenberg, Capture, Young Marvels, highlighting the artistic achievements made by young people in dance, music, Trending Trailers, with celebrity interviews and previews of upcoming films and "Touching the Art," a comedic web series panel show focused on contemporary art hosted by Casey Jane Ellison.
Returning series in 2014 included The Fashion Fund (season 2), A Young Doctor's Notebook (season 2) and the Song by Song franchise, highlighting the stories behind the most popular hits by Sheryl Crow, Blondie, and Lindsey Stirling.
Ovation debuted the U.S. premiere of international drama series Versailles on October 1, 2016. The series lasted three seasons and starred George Blagden, Alexander Vlahos, Evan Williams, Tygh Runyan, Anna Brewster, Lizzie Brochere, Maddison Jaizani and Stuart Bowman. The series finale aired on December 8, 2018.
Ovation debuted the U.S. cable television premiere of international drama series Riviera on February 9, 2019. The series stars Julia Stiles, Lena Olin, Adrian Lester, Iwan Rheon, Dimitri Leonidas, Anthony LaPaglia and Roxane Duran.
- Arts Across the Heartland special
- Boston Legal
- Chasing the Sun
- The Code
- Frankie Drake Mysteries
- Inside the Actors Studio
- Midsomer Murders
- Murdoch Mysteries (The Artful Detective)
- Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries
- The Pacific: In the Wake of Captain Cook with Sam Neill
- The Practice
- Travel Man
- A Place to Call Home
- The Librarians
- Luke Nguyen's France
- Luke Nguyen's Street Food Asia
- Partners in Crime
- Republic of Doyle
- Antiques Roadshow
- The Art Show
- The Bletchley Circle
- The Borgias
- Dharma & Greg
- The Fashion Fund
- The Halcyon
- Robin Hood
- Smash (TV series)
- The Tudors
- Two Guys and a Girl
- The Wine Show
- X Company
- A Young Doctor's Notebook
- Chairman: Ken Solomon
- CEO: Charles Segars
- CFO: Phil Gilligan
- General Counsel: Robert Rader
- EVP, Network Strategy: Liz Janneman
- EVP, Programming & Production: Scott Woodward
- SVP, Business Development and Digital: William Marks
- "Ovation launches new "The Power of Art" Tagline and Brand Strategy". Ovation. May 9, 2013.
- Seidman, Robert (February 22, 2015). "List of how many homes each cable network is in as of February 2015". TV by the Numbers. Zap2it. Retrieved March 14, 2015.
- Family, Weinstein Buy Arts Channel" (Los Angeles Times, August 30, 2006)
- https://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070605/tv_nm/ovation_dc. Retrieved June 10, 2007. Missing or empty
- Ovation Gets Artsy Makeover Multichannel News February 26, 2010
- Time Warner Cable decides to bow out of Ovation Reuters, December 18, 2012
- "Ovation Network Returning To Time Warner Cable". Deadline Hollywood. October 16, 2013.
- Ovation Launching HD Channel in 2010 - Arts-Focused Network Has Added Subs This Year in Standard Def Multichannel News October 6, 2009
- "Gillian Anderson and Jamie Dornan Come to Ovation TV with "The Fall" Starting Saturday, October 10". The Futon Critic. August 31, 2020.
- "Ovation Acquires Additional Seasons of "Travel Man" and "Midsomer Murders" in Deal with all3media". The Futon Critic. November 12, 2019.