Ovcha Kupel Stadium
|Full name||Slavia Stadium|
|Owner||Municipality of Sofia|
|Field size||105 X 68|
Bulgaria U21 (2009-present)
Slavia Stadium (Bulgarian: Стадион „Славия“) is a multi-purpose stadium in the Ovcha Kupel district of Sofia, Bulgaria. It is currently used for football matches and is the home ground of the local football club PFC Slavia Sofia. The stadium has a seating capacity of 25,556 and is one of the biggest sport facilities in Bulgaria.
- The stadium is part of a multifunctional sport complex, which includes two football training grounds, one multi-purpose indoor hall and an ice-hockey arena with a capacity of 2,000 spectators.
- Also, as of 2009, the Bulgaria national under-21 football team plays its home matches at this stadium.
In April 2014, a contract for building a new stadium to replace the old one was signed between PFC Slavia and the German company IFS. The capacity shall be expanded to 24,000, with an option for 33,000 spectators for major events. The deal was co-signed by the Bulgarian Football Union. The national teams shall be obliged to play their host matches at the new stadium. Also, the football union will bid with this stadium for a standard package of Euro 2020 matches.
Old Slavia Stadium
- "Националният отбор се обвърза дългосрочно с бъдещия стадион в "Овча купел"". dnevnik.bg (in Bulgarian). 10 April 2014.
- "Sofia Staduim". IFS. Retrieved 10 April 2014.
- Map of Sofia, 1946, "Sp. Club Slavia" can be seen in square V4 ('В4' in Cyrillic).
|This article about a Bulgarian sports venue is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|