OverDrive Media Console
|Stable release||v3.2 (Microsoft Windows), v1.1 (Mac OS), v2.6 (iOS, Android, v2.4 BlackBerry), v1.1 Microsoft Windows 8 / October 2012|
|Operating system||Microsoft Windows XP, Microsoft Windows 8, Microsoft Windows RT, Mac OS X v10.4.9, iOS v4, Android v2.1, BlackBerry v4.5|
|Website||OverDrive Media Console|
OverDrive Media Console is a proprietary, freeware application developed by OverDrive, Inc. for use with its digital distribution services for libraries, schools, and retailers. The application enables users to access eBooks, audiobooks, and videos borrowed from libraries and schools—or purchased from booksellers—on devices running Android, Blackberry, iOS (iPad/iPhone/iPod), and Windows. The software is also available for Mac and Windows desktop and laptop computers.
In October 2012, Barnes & Noble added the OverDrive Media Console app to the NOOK App Store, enabling Nook Color, Nook Tablet, and later Nook HD, Nook HD+ and Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7.0 Nook users to download audiobooks, eBooks, and videos directly to their devices. The OverDrive app is also available for users of the Kindle Fire in the Amazon Apps Store. Also in October 2012, OverDrive released OverDrive Media Console for Windows 8, which supports devices running Microsoft's Windows 8 and Windows RT operating systems.
OverDrive Media Console supports a variety of formats on different devices, including EPUB and PDF for reading, and MP3 and Windows Media Audio (WMA) for listening. It is worth noting that WMA content is ONLY supported on the Windows version of the OverDrive Media Console, which dramatically reduces the number of titles available to library patrons who use non-Windows 8 portable devices or Mac computers. However, many publishers allow transfers of WMA format materials to Apple devices after downloading to a Windows computer.
- Farrell, John (June 6, 2012). "E-Book Publishers Take To The Cloud At Book Expo 2012". Forbes.
- Hoffelder, Nate (September 27, 2012). "Library eBooks Now Available on the Nook Tablet, Nook Color". The Digital Reader.
- Price, Gary (October 12, 2012). "OverDrive Releases Updated Media Console App for iOS, App For Kindle Fire Also Available". InfoDocket.com.
- Kozlowski, Michael (October 25). "Overdrive Media Console Now Available for Windows 8". Good E Reader. Check date values in:
- Erlich, Alicia (10 Aug 2012). "Best applications for using your BlackBerry PlayBook as an eReader!". CrackBerry.com.
- Dilworth, Dianna (August 2, 2012). "OverDrive Rejoins Top Free iOS eBook Apps List". MediaBistro.
- "The Best Apps For Reading On The iPad". AppAdvice.com.
- "OverDrive Help". OverDrive.com.
- "Device Profiles: OverDrive Incompatible Devices". OverDrive.com.