|Studio album by Peter Hammill|
|Recorded||27 June-4 July 1976
Foel Studios, Llanfair Caereinion, Wales
|Peter Hammill chronology|
Over is the 6th studio album by the English singer and songwriter Peter Hammill, released on Charisma Records in April 1977. It was issued for the first time on CD on Virgin Records in the early 1990s, and was reissued again in a remastered version in 2006 with bonus tracks.
Over is generally considered to be one of Hammill's most important solo albums, containing as it does some of his most intensely personal songs. The album details the break-up of a long-term relationship with a woman known as Alice.
The album was recorded during a period of line-up change for Hammill's band Van der Graaf Generator. It features VdGG drummer Guy Evans, VdGG's new recruit Graham Smith (formerly of String Driven Thing) on violin, and the return of VdGG's bass player from 1969 to 1970, Nic Potter.
All songs written by Peter Hammill.
- "Crying Wolf"
- "Time Heals"
- "Alice (Letting Go)"
- "This Side Of The Looking Glass"
- "(On Tuesdays She Used To Do) Yoga"
- "Lost And Found"
The following bonus tracks were included on the 2006 CD reissue:
- "Betrayed" (BBC session)
- "Autumn" (BBC session)
- "This Side of the Looking Glass" (solo version)
- Peter Hammill – vocals, guitar, keyboards
- Graham Smith – violin (2,6)
- Nic Potter – bass (1,3,8)
- Guy Evans – drums (1,3,8)
- Michael Brand – orchestra conductor (5)
- Dave Anderson, Ian Gomm - engineers (Foel Studio)
- Pat Moran - engineer (Rockfield Studios)
- Frank Sansom - art direction
- Sebastian Keep - photography