A tollhouse was once situated at the Overcombe corner from Lodmoor, along what was the turnpike road. It was operated by the Shorey family who ran a horse and cart public service. It was demolished in 1959. A block of flats were built in 1965, in place of a cafe. The Spyglass Inn at Overcombe was originally built in the 1930s as a cafe, before becoming the Embassy Hotel and later, the inn. There was once a golf course at Overcombe in the early 20th century. The painter John Constable had his honeymoon at Overcombe.
In the field north of Bowleaze Coveway road is Jordan Hill Roman Temple, which is the remains of a c. 4th century Romano-Celtic temple. In 1928, an important hoard of late 4th century Roman coins was unearthed at Weymouth Bay Estate. In October 2013, 19 swimmers swam in the 5 and a half hour Big Swim from Lulworth Cove to Overcombe Corner, raised £2,560 for the Dorchester Opportunity Group. Overcombe car park, run by the Weymouth and Portland Borough Council, has approximately 180 parking spaces.
In Popular Culture
Overcombe is the principal location for Thomas Hardy's 1880 novel 'The Trumpet-Major', which was set during the Napoleonic Wars. Overcombe also makes a brief cameo in Hardy's 1886 novel 'The Mayor Of Casterbridge' as one of the places from where came vans of carriers, which travelled in and out of Casterbridge.
- McMullen, Charles (30 June 2014). A Life in Bits: The memoirs of a cheerful bipolar. Memoirs Publishing. p. 65. ISBN 978-1-86151-139-3.
- Rose, Debby (23 November 2008). Weymouth Through Time. Amberley Publishing Limited. p. 172. ISBN 978-1-4456-3216-2.
- "Views of Overcombe before the builders". Dorset Echo. 10 May 2011. Retrieved 26 August 2016.
- "Jordan Hill Roman Temple". English Heritage. Retrieved 26 August 2016.
- Bulletin. Royal Ontario Museum, University of Toronto. 1928. p. 15.
- "Fundraisers take on 10-mile sea swim for Dorchester charity". Dorset Echo. 9 October 2013. Retrieved 26 August 2016.
- "Overcombe car park, Weymouth". Dorset For You. Retrieved 26 August 2016.
Media related to Overcombe at Wikimedia Commons