Overlea High School
|5401 Kenwood Ave
Baltimore, Maryland 21206-1499
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Baltimore Public Schools|
|Principal||Monica C Sample|
|Hours in school day||7:45 - 2:15|
|Campus size||29 acres (120,000 m2)|
About the School
The original building was constructed in the early-1960s. The main structure is 124,266 square feet. It is located on Kenwood Avenue in eastern Baltimore County near the I-695 and I-95 interchange. Though in an unincorporated part of the county, it serves the areas of White Marsh, Rosedale, Overlea, and Fullerton.
The graduation rate at Overlea has been steady at 79-90% over the past 10 years ending in 2007.
Based on current enrollment information, there are approximately 1,230 students that attend Overlea High School. There are 430 students in the ninth grade, 405 students in the tenth grade, 369 in the eleventh grade, and 332 in the twelfth grade.
Of the 1,230 students that attend Overlea High School, 808 (65.7%) of them are Black or African American, 25 (2.1%) are Asian American, 77 (6.3%) are Hispanic or Latino, 279 (22.7%) are White, and 38 (3.1%) are other.
Of the 1,230 students, there are 553 (45%) girls and 676 (55%) boys.
- 1983 - Football, Class 3A
- 1986- Football, Class 3A
- 1987- Football, Class 3A
- 1988- Football, Class 3A
- 1989- Football, Class 2A
- 1990- Football, Class 2A
- 1991- Football, Class 2A
- 2012- Football, Class 1A
- 2009-JV Football, Baltimore county champions
• 1995 - Baseball, Class 2A
• 1993 - JV Baseball, Baltimore County Champions
- 1971 - Boys Soccer
- 1981 - Softball, Class AA
- 1998 - Wrestling State Dual Meets
- Dave Johnson (1977), former Major League pitcher, currently a broadcaster for MASN
- Mike Rowe, (1979) is an American media personality. He is the host of the Discovery Channel's Dirty Jobs, as well as narrator for other programs on the Discovery Channel
- William A. Howard IV, (1981), served on the Baltimore County Council from 1990 to 1994.
- Linda Warehime, broomgirl for the Baltimore Orioles from 1969-1975.
- John Lee Roy Linde (1986) is the author of "Random Thoughts From A Diseased Mind(Not For Dummies)", and Galactica-Trek I & II Contributing author of "Evidence of Autumn" and "The Cabin"
- Steve Mollenkopf (1987) Chief Executive Officer & President of Qualcomm, Inc.
- Tim Waire (1987) Chief Information Officer of Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
- Bernard Hopkins, (1992) is a professional basketball player in Spain's Liga ACB.
- Mike Riley, (1993) is an American cartoonist best known as the creator of the webcomic, I Taste Sound.
- Matt Tirschman, (1993) is former Professional soccer player for the Baltimore Blast  and the Milwaukee Wave 
- James "Jamie" Miller (Class of 1993) drummer for Bad Religion, guitarist/drummer for ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead, Billy Ray Cyrus, theSTART
- Tom Jones, (Class of 1988) Vice President of SwagDog Apparel
- Donald Rowe, (Class of 2001) Owner/Partner of Maryland Heating & Air
- Antoine "Tony" Caldwell (1987–88) Owner of Afex Ink Tattoo Studio. Appeared in Urban Ink Magazine. Tattoo Artist for Local NFL Franchise.
- Chuck Ritz (Class of 1978) Founder of the Hope and Peace Foundation which raises awareness for the silent epidemic of child sexual abuse (Ride for Life) and hosts events in remembrance of the terrorists attacks of 9/11 (Path of Honor, 9/11 Patriot Day Ride and Spirits in the Night 9/11 Candlelight Vigil)
References and notes
- Maryland Property Database
- Baltimore County Public Schools website
- Maryland Report Card
- Maryland State Department of Education
- MPSSAA Boys Soccer
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Overlea High School.|