Overseas Student Health Cover
This article needs more links to other articles to help integrate it into the encyclopedia. (October 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Overseas Student Health Cover is a compulsory health insurance product required by international students studying in Australia. OSHC is an insurance product that basically gives international students a level of insurance coverage that is based on the Australian Medicare system. Overseas Student Health Cover is commonly referred to as OSHC. Students can arrange to pay for their OSHC through their educational institution. However, students can still choose their own OSHC provider even when their educational institution makes a specific recommendation because they have negotiated a preferred provider arrangement with a particular insurer.
OSHC is only able to be offered by Australian private health insurers who have signed the Deed for the provision of Overseas Student Health Cover with the Australian government. The Deed outlines the conditions required to be met by the registered insurers in order to offer the OSHC product. A legal document between the Commonwealth of Australia and the relevant insurer, the Deed dictates the minimum benefits payable by the insurer, in addition to conditions for which it is not required to pay any benefits. In addition, clause 6.8 of the Deed stipulates the conditions under which the insurers can terminate policies and make refunds, specifically:
- Where the student decides not to come to Australia;
- Where the student has ceased studies and left Australia prior to the end of their visa;
- Where the student has had their application for an extended stay refused by the Department of Immigration and Citizenship;
- Where the student has been granted permanent residence;
- Where the student has been outside Australia for a period exceeding 3 months; or
- Where the student holds an OSHC from another insurer.
- New Zealand
- Republic of Ireland
- United Kingdom
There is more information on the many of countries included in the Reciprocal Health Care Agreements part of the Australian Government Department of Human Services. 
As at 20 December 2019, there were 6 health insurers who are signatories to the Australian Government the Deed for the provision of Overseas Student Health Cover enabling them to offer OSHC. Those are:
- Allianz Global Assistance (Peoplecare Health)
- ahm OSHC
- CBHS International Health
- Medibank Private
- NIB OSHC
- BUPA Australia
- "Template Overseas Student Health Cover Deed" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 9 April 2013.
- "Health insurance for students". Department of Home Affairs.
- "Reciprocal Health Care Agreements - When you visit Australia - Australian Government Department of Human Services". www.humanservices.gov.au. Retrieved 20 December 2019.
- Ombudsman, Private Health Insurance. "Overseas Student Health Cover". www.privatehealth.gov.au.
- Allianz. "Overseas Student Health Cover Australia: Get OSHC Today! | AGA". Allianz Global Assistance Overseas Health. Retrieved 20 December 2019.
- "Home | Medibank Overseas Student Health Cover". Medibank. Retrieved 20 December 2019.
- "Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for Australia". Default. Retrieved 20 December 2019.
- "Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) | Overseas". Medibank. Retrieved 20 December 2019.
- "OSHC - Overseas Student Health Insurance & Health Cover | nib". www.nib.com.au. Retrieved 20 December 2019.
- www.bupa.com.au https://www.bupa.com.au/health-insurance/oshc. Retrieved 20 December 2019. Missing or empty