This article does not cite any sources. (March 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Overthrow: America's Century of Regime Change from Hawaii to Iraq is a book published in 2006 by New York Times foreign correspondent and author Stephen Kinzer about the United States's involvement in the overthrow of foreign governments from the late 19th century to the present. According to Kinzer, the first such instance was the overthrow of the Kingdom of Hawaii in 1893, and continuing to America-led invasion of Iraq in 2003. His examples include mini-histories of the U.S.-supported or encouraged coups d'état in Hawaii, Cuba, Puerto Rico, the Philippines, Nicaragua, Honduras, Iran, Guatemala, South Vietnam, Chile, Grenada, Panama, Afghanistan, and Iraq.
Some examples used in the book refer to American support for local rebels against the existing national governments that lead to a change in power. For example, in 1898, the United States helped to overthrow the government of Cuba by supporting local rebels who were already fighting their government. In other circumstances, such as in Iran, Guatemala, and Chile, Kinzer argues the United States initiated, planned and orchestrated the regime change.
This book talks about things such as how the United States, during its first real coup, decided to Nicaragua President Zeyala out of power because they wanted the power of the canal. It also says that the United States tricked the Panamanians into independence from Columbia so that they could have the land to build the Panama Canal, and Columbia would not give them the land.
- Kinzer, Stephen, Overthrow: America's Century of Regime Change from Hawaii to Iraq, Times Books, 2006. ISBN 0-8050-7861-4
- Official website for book from Henry Holt(Dead Link)
- "Empirical Evidence", on WNYC's The Brian Lehrer Show, April 26, 2006
- "Author Kinzer Charts 'Century of Regime Change'", on NPR's Fresh Air, April 5, 2006
- "Part 1: Overthrow: America's Century of Regime Change from Hawaii to Iraq", on Democracy Now!, April 21, 2006 (video, audio, and print transcript)
- "Part 2: Overthrow: America's Century of Regime Change from Hawaii to Iraq", on Democracy Now!, May 8, 2006 (video, audio, and print transcript)
- Interview of Stephen Kinzer in Guernica Magazine
- Interview with Stephen Kinzer about Overthrow
- Interview with Stephen Kinzer hosted by the World Affairs Council of Northern California
|This article about a book on international relations is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|