Ovingham, South Australia
Adelaide, South Australia
Churchill Road, Ovingham
|Population||654 (2006 Census)
679 (2001 Census)
|Location||3.4 km (2 mi) N of Adelaide city centre|
Ovingham was established in 1875 by William Whinham. The portion of Ovingham in the City of Charles Sturt (the triangle bounded by the railway line, Torrens Road and Park Terrace) was previously considered to be part of Bowden, known as Bowden-on-the-Hill.
The age distribution of Ovingham residents is skewed higher than the greater Australian population. 74.6% of residents were over 25 years in 2006, compared to the Australian average of 66.5%; and 25.4% were younger than 25 years, compared to the Australian average of 33.5%.
Part of Ovingham lies in Hindmarsh Ward in the City of Charles Sturt local government area, being represented in that council by Paul Alexandrides and Craig Auricht. The remainder of the suburb lies in the City of Prospect.
State and federal
Ovingham lies in the state electoral district of Adelaide and the federal electoral division of Adelaide. The suburb is represented in the South Australian House of Assembly by Rachel Sanderson and federally by Kate Ellis.
Shopping and dining
The Bombay Bicycle Club, a themed hotel, is located on Torrens Road. The Ovingham Football Club, the local team, is located on Churchill Road.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ovingham, South Australia.|
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (25 October 2007). "Ovingham (State Suburb)". 2006 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 4 February 2012.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (9 March 2006). "Ovingham (State Suburb)". 2001 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 4 February 2012.
- "Place Names of South Australia". The Manning Index of South Australian History. State Library of South Australia. Retrieved 4 February 2012.
- "Ovingham, South Australia (Adelaide)". Postcodes-Australia. Postcodes-Australia.com. Retrieved 4 February 2012.
- "City of Charles Sturt Wards and Council Members" (PDF). City of Charles Sturt. Retrieved 4 February 2012.
- Adelaide and surrounds street directory (49th ed.). UBD. 2011. ISBN 978-0-7319-2652-7.
- "BOWDEN-ON-THE-HILL.". South Australian Register (Adelaide, SA: National Library of Australia). 25 September 1901. p. 6. Retrieved 28 August 2015.
- "CHANGE OF NAME DESIRED.". News (Adelaide, SA : 1923 - 1954) (Adelaide, SA: National Library of Australia). 22 October 1929. p. 7 Edition: HOME EDITION. Retrieved 28 August 2015.
- "Post Office List". Premier Postal History. Premier Postal Auctions. Retrieved 26 May 2011.
- "Electoral Districts - Electoral District for the 2010 Election". Electoral Commission SA. Retrieved 4 February 2012.
- "Find my electorate: Adelaide". Australian Electoral Commission. Retrieved 4 February 2012.
- "Public Transport in Adelaide". Adelaide Metro official website. Dept. for Transport, Energy and Infrastructure, Public Transport Division. Retrieved 4 February 2012.
- "City of Charles Sturt". Official website. City of Charles Sturt. Retrieved 4 February 2012.
- "City of Prospect". Official website. City of Prospect. Retrieved 4 February 2012.