|Dariush Zand (Founder, CEO)|
OVIVO Mobile was a mobile virtual network operator (MVNO) in the United Kingdom, using the Vodafone UK network as its carrier. OVIVO was unique in the UK in offering a free (£0 monthly fee) advertising-funded mobile tariff, which was financed by showing an advert in the user's web browser. They charged a nominal fee to cover admin and initial SIM setup costs, returning a portion as user credit upon activation.
The service closed down on Wednesday, 19 March 2014 without prior notice by posting the following text on their website:
Dear OVIVO Customers,
We are very sad to announce that for reasons beyond our control, OVIVO Mobile is closing down on the evening of Wednesday 19th March 2014.
We'd like to thank each and every one of you for your support and friendship over the last two years.
The firm's Twitter and Facebook accounts were deactivated the same day, and email attempts were bounced back.
There was a report that a dispute over network software led to the abrupt closure of the network.
- Leslie Bunder (2013-11-04). "Ovivo proves you don't need to pay monthly mobile phone charges". Metro.
- "OVIVO Mobile Communications Limited". CrowdCube.
- "OVIVO Mobile". Archived from the original on 19 March 2014. Retrieved 10 August 2017.
- Curtis, Sophie (2014-03-20). "Ovivo mobile network shuts down without warning". ISSN 0307-1235. Retrieved 2018-06-19.
- "Exclusive: Dispute with Cognatel led to Ovivo Mobile termination". Mobile News Online, Clark White Publications Ltd.
- "OVIVO Mobile". Archived from the original on 1 April 2014. Retrieved 10 August 2017.
- "OVIVO Mobile". Archived from the original on 29 May 2014. Retrieved 10 August 2017.