Owairaka is home to the world-famous Owairaka Athletic Club  which is based at the historic Lovelock Track where five world records have been set. During the 1960s the club led the world in middle and long distance running under the guidance of the legendary coach Arthur Lydiard (ONZ,OBE), producing many international and national champions, most notably, Murray Halberg (ONZ, MBE)  and the New Zealand Athlete of the Century, Peter Snell (KNZM, MBE).
Owairaka, comprising the statistical areas of Owairaka West and Owairaka East, had a population of 5,268 at the 2018 New Zealand census, an increase of 318 people (6.4%) since the 2013 census, and an increase of 327 people (6.6%) since the 2006 census. There were 1,665 households. There were 2,742 males and 2,520 females, giving a sex ratio of 1.09 males per female, with 1,041 people (19.8%) aged under 15 years, 1,365 (25.9%) aged 15 to 29, 2,442 (46.4%) aged 30 to 64, and 423 (8.0%) aged 65 or older.
Ethnicities were 39.7% European/Pākehā, 8.9% Māori, 18.3% Pacific peoples, 39.2% Asian, and 6.4% other ethnicities (totals add to more than 100% since people could identify with multiple ethnicities).
The proportion of people born overseas was 47.5%, compared with 27.1% nationally.
Although some people objected to giving their religion, 38.3% had no religion, 35.6% were Christian, and 21.6% had other religions.
Of those at least 15 years old, 1,452 (34.4%) people had a bachelor or higher degree, and 495 (11.7%) people had no formal qualifications. The employment status of those at least 15 was that 2,214 (52.4%) people were employed full-time, 579 (13.7%) were part-time, and 225 (5.3%) were unemployed.
The local state secondary school is Mount Albert Grammar School .
- Auckland City Athletic Club History, Auckland City Athletic Club, retrieved 28 January 2013 CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Owairaka Athletic Club History, Owairaka Athletic Club, 2012, retrieved 28 January 2013 CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Arthur Lydiard, NZ History, retrieved 28 January 2013 CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Halberg, Murray Gordon, MBE, Encyclopedia of New Zealand, retrieved 28 January 2013 CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Peter Snell, NZ Olympic Committee, retrieved 28 January 2013 CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Statistical area 1 dataset for 2018 Census". Statistics New Zealand. March 2020. Owairaka West (135500) and Owairaka East (136800). 2018 Census place summary: Owairaka West 2018 Census place summary: Owairaka East
- "New Zealand Schools Directory". New Zealand Ministry of Education. Retrieved 23 February 2020.
- Education Counts: Owairaka District School