This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (November 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Benjamin in 2015
|Birth name||Owen Smith|
|Born||May 24, 1980|
Fulton, New York, U.S.
|Medium||Stand-up, television, film, internet|
|Years active||2006 – present|
|Spouse||Amy Reinke Smith (m. 2015)|
|Notable works and roles||The Improv|
The House Bunny
Owen Benjamin (born May 24, 1980) is a comedian, pianist and actor from Fulton, New York.
Owen Benjamin was born to John Kares Smith and Jean Troy-Smith, both professors at State University of New York at Oswego. He attended college at the State University of New York at Plattsburgh where he got his start in television at the student- run TV station.
Benjamin has a podcast, Why Didn't They Laugh, on Sideshow Network. He played host on Esquire Network's The Next Great Burger which aired summer of 2015. He played a correspondent to Tyson Beckford and Rev Run on their show It's Not You It's Men (2016) on the OWN network.
Benjamin produces the late show on Saturday Nights at The Improv in Hollywood, California, and he has also performed on MTV's show Punk'd. Benjamin has starred in several web-only video series, including: Sony Pictures Television's C-SPOT, the role of Owen on Gaytown, Chance Stevens on Heckle U for CBS Interactive, as well as hosting his own series, Owen Benjamin Presents.
In 2008 Benjamin had a supporting role in The House Bunny. In 2009, he played the leading role in the romantic comedy All's Faire in Love, costarring with Christina Ricci. He was on Comedy Central Presents in 2010. For three seasons (2012–14), Benjamin portrayed Owen Walsh on the TBS original comedy Sullivan & Son.
Influences and controversy
His comedy is strongly influenced by, and criticized because of, his conservative social and political views. His main gripe is political correctness, often being intentionally offensive in order to mock those who would police his speech. Scheduled shows of his have been cancelled and he has been suspended from Twitter on account of this behavior, which has included accusing Jesse Thorn of being a "child molester" because he has a non-binary child and saying slavery could come back so civil rights activist Shaun King could be enslaved. His workaround for the cancellation of some of his shows is to use crowdfunded money to rent the venues.
Discography and comedy specials
- 2010: Comedy Central Presents (TV release)
- 2013: High Five Til It Hurts! (CD/DVD/audio download/video download)
- 2017: Feed the Bear (video download)
- 2018: Huge Pianist (audio download/video download)
- "Look at OZ: Stand-up comic Owen Benjamin – The Oswegonian". 2018-11-29. Archived from the original on 2018-11-29.
- "Oswego native Owen Benjamin to perform at Funny Bone in Syracuse". Oswego County News Now. 2016-08-21.
- ""It's Not You It's Men" Full Cast/Crew Credits". IMDb.com.
- "Owen Benjamin's tweet from February 9, 2018".
- Frommer, Dan. "Lindsay Campbell's New Show, 'Heckle U', Launching Today". Retrieved 2009-08-23.
- "C-Spot Season 2 on Crackle". thecomicscomic. 2008-06-19. Retrieved 2009-02-25.
- Christina Ricci is Engaged!, usmagazine.com, March 17, 2009.
- "Comedian Owen Benjamin Returns As Host Of The Art Directors Guild 20th Annual Excellence In Production Design Awards". shootonline.com. 2015-11-12.
- Inside Amy Schumer on IMDb
- "Jay Leno adds to posse". Variety.com. 2009-09-08.
- Casablanca, Ted (2009-06-04). "Christina Ricci Breaks Off Engagement—Did She Scream Then, Too?". E! Online.
- "Christina Ricci calls off her engagement to 'All's Faire in Love' co-…". 2012-09-07. Archived from the original on 2012-09-07.
- "Local comic Day Bracey clashes online with alt-right comedian Owen Be…". 2018-04-19. Archived from the original on 2018-04-19.
- "Owen Benjamin Comedy on Twitter: "Both momma and baby are happy and h…". 2018-11-29. Archived from the original on 2018-11-29.
- Weiser, Sonia (2013-06-27). "The Laughspin Interview with Owen Benjamin". Laughspin.com.
- "Conservatives banished from comedy industry". The Washington Times. January 1, 2018. Archived from the original on 2018-01-01.
- "What Happened To Owen Benjamin Is Further Proof We Are Losing Our Min…". 2017-09-29. Archived from the original on 2017-09-29.
- Joe, Berkowitz (December 3, 2018). "Why is Amazon promoting this anti-trans alt right troll's comedy special?". Fast Company. Retrieved December 6, 2018.