|Born||Oxana Oleksandrivna Malaya
November 4, 1983
Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic, USSR (now Ukraine)
|Other names||Ukrainian Dog Girl|
|Known for||Feral child|
Oxana Oleksandrivna Malaya (Ukrainian: Оксана Олександрівна Малая, born November 4, 1983, in Kherson Oblast, Ukraine, (then Soviet Union)) is a Ukrainian woman internationally known for her dog-imitating behaviour. Malaya has been the subject of documentaries, interviews and tabloid headlines as a feral child "raised by dogs", although it is not clear if she ever lived separately from people.
Malaya was born in the village of Nova Blagovishchenka in Hornostaivka Raion, Kherson Oblast, of the Ukrainian SSR. According to doctors and medical records, she was a normal child at birth. But later she was neglected by her alcoholic parents at an early age, and she lived surrounded by dogs. When Oxana was found by authorities, she was 7 and half years old, but she could not talk, lacked many basic skills, and physically behaved like a dog. She was running around on all fours, barking; slept on the floor; and she ate and took care of her hygiene like a dog.
Malaya was eventually transferred to the foster home for mentally-disabled children in Barabol (rural Ovidiopol Raion of Odessa Oblast). She underwent years of specialized therapy and education to address her behavioral, social and educational issues. Upon adulthood, Oxana has been taught to subdue her dog-like behavior, she learned to speak fluently and intelligently, she works at the farm milking cows, but remains somewhat intellectually impaired
In a British Channel 4 documentary, and in the Portuguese SIC channel documentary, her doctors stated that it is unlikely that she will ever be completely rehabilitated into "normal" society. In 2001 Russian TV channel "NTV" made a documentary about her life. There also were multiple publications about her in the press.
In 2013 Oxana gave an interview on national Ukrainian TV in the talk-show "Govorit Ukraina", where she told about herself and answered questions. During the show Oxana said that she wants to be treated like a normal human being, and is offended when others call her a "dog-girl". She said that she wants her brothers to visit her more often. She said that her main dream in her life is to find her biological mother. She also talked about her boyfriend, her life in the state foster home, and her work with animals on the farm.
- Grice, Elizabeth (June 7, 2005). "Cry of an enfant sauvage". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved July 17, 2006.
- "Raised Wild". Animal Discovery. November 30, 2012. Retrieved January 19, 2014.
- "У Оксаны Малой нашлись родной брат и маленькая племянница.".
- Channel Ukraine. ""Oxana Malaya on Ukrainian TV show"".
- Grice, Elizabeth (2006-07-17). "Cry of an infant savage". London: Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 2007-07-14.
- У героини публикации «фактов» оксаны малой, которая выросла в… Собачьей конуре, нашлись родной брат и маленькая племянница, тоже оксана - 2003 follow-up article in Fakty i kommentarii (Ukrainian).
- Oxana talks about her life on the Ukrainian TV talk-show "Govorit Ukraina" (2013)
- Повторившая судьбу маугли 17-летняя воспитанница одесского интерната оксана малая совсем не обижается, когда ее называют девочкой-собакой - 2001 article in Fakty i kommentarii tabloid (Ukrainian)
- У героини публикации «фактов» оксаны малой, которая выросла в… Собачьей конуре, нашлись родной брат и маленькая племянница, тоже оксана - 2003 follow-up article in Fakty i kommentarii (Ukrainian)
- Daily Telegraph article
- Animal Planet Raised Wild documentary