Oxford Parkway railway station
The station in November 2015, soon after opening
|Managed by||Chiltern Railways|
|Number of platforms||2|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections
from National Rail Enquiries
|25 October 2015||Opened|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|UK Railways portal|
Oxford Parkway railway station is a railway station at Water Eaton, Oxfordshire, on the railway line between Oxford and Islip. Full regular weekday service began on Monday 26 October 2015, although the first passengers travelled the previous day on a Sunday timetable.
The station, whose name was changed in September 2013 from the provisional "Water Eaton Parkway", lies between Kidlington and Oxford beside the existing Water Eaton park-and-ride site. It serves Kidlington, north Oxford and nearby villages. The station forms part of a multi-modal transport interchange node, connecting travellers by bus, cycle, on foot and by car with rail transport. It is also intended to attract park-and-ride traffic from the busy A34, A40 and A44 roads.
The station is part of Project Evergreen 3, funded and managed by Chiltern Railways. It is served every half-hour by trains from London Marylebone. Chiltern Railways opened the station in October 2015 for trains towards Bicester and London Marylebone, with services to Oxford Railway Station beginning in Spring 2016. The journey time to London is about an hour.
The station is on the site of the Buckinghamshire Railway's temporary Oxford Banbury Road terminus (1850-1851), and north-east of the site of the former Oxford Road Halt (1905-1926). In 1942 a Government grain silo was built next to the site as part of a Second World War network to concentrate scarce food and distribute it by rail. It was in use until the late 1980s. In October 2013 Chiltern Railways had it demolished as part of site preparation for the new station and car park.
The station lies on National Cycle Route 51, which links Oxford to Bicester and further East. Oxford Parkway has covered two-level parking for 152 pedal cycles adjacent to the entrance, additional to the existing cycle parking at the nearby Park & Ride. It has CCTV surveillance.
The car park has 815 standard spaces, plus 41 spaces for passengers with reduced mobility. There is realtime information about remaining available spaces. There is a fee to park a car but the first hour is free. There are also spaces for 30 motorcycles.
Purchase of rail travel tickets is by machine; there is no ticket office at the station, but there is an information desk. Toilet and refreshment facilities are also present.
Building of the station began in late October 2014 and was sufficiently advanced for services to begin 12 months later. Ancillary construction is still under way.
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
London Marylebone – Oxford
or Bicester Village
London Marylebone – Oxford
or Bicester Village
|Oxford||East West Rail Link
Reading – Bedford or Milton Keynes
- "Oxford Parkway opens". Today's Railways UK (Platform 5) (168): 14–15. November 2015.
- "UPDATE: First trains from Oxford Parkway arrive at London Marylebone (From Oxford Mail)". Oxfordmail.co.uk. Retrieved 2015-10-27.
- "Keen passengers board the first trains to leave Oxford Parkway (From Oxford Mail)". Oxfordmail.co.uk. Retrieved 2015-10-27.
- "APPLICATION TO THE OFFICE OF RAIL REGULATION FOR A PASSENGER TRACK ACCESS AGREEMENT, OR AMENDMENT TO A PASSENGER TRACK ACCESS AGREEMENT UNDER SECTIONS 17-22A OF THE RAILWAYS ACT 1993" (PDF). Networkrail.co.uk. Retrieved 2015-10-27.
- "Chiltern Railways names new Oxfordshire station Oxford Parkway" (Press release). Chiltern Railways. 20 September 2013. Retrieved 20 September 2013.
- "Water Eaton park and ride - OX2 8HA | Oxfordshire County Council". Oxfordshire.gov.uk. 2015-09-22. Retrieved 2015-10-27.
- [dead link]
- "Prospectus" (PDF). East West Rail Consortium. Retrieved 14 December 2011.
- Memory Lane (21 October 2013). "a look back at the history of the Water Eaton grain silo as wartime facility nears its end". Oxford Mail (Newsquest). Retrieved 13 December 2013.
- Fantato, Damian (2 November 2013). "Water Eaton grain silo is demolished". Oxford Mail (Newsquest). Retrieved 13 December 2013.
- "500 : park&ride : Oxford Bus Company". Parkandride.oxfordbus.co.uk. 2015-10-22. Retrieved 2015-10-27.
- "Stagecoach Bus Timetable" (PDF). Stagecoachbus.com. Retrieved 2015-10-27.
- "Route 51 - Map". Sustrans. Retrieved 2015-10-27.
- "National Rail Enquiries - Station facilities for Oxford Parkway". Nationalrail.co.uk. Retrieved 2015-10-27.
- "Park and ride car parks". Voyager.oxfordshire.gov.uk. Retrieved 2015-10-27.
- "Oxford Parkway to London Marylebone". Chiltern Railways. Retrieved 2015-10-27.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Oxford Parkway railway station.|