Oxford Township, Tuscarawas County, Ohio
|Oxford Township, Tuscarawas County, Ohio|
Stocker Ridge bridge over Interstate 77
Location of Oxford Township in Tuscarawas County
|• Total||24.9 sq mi (64.6 km2)|
|• Land||24.6 sq mi (63.8 km2)|
|• Water||0.3 sq mi (0.8 km2)|
|Elevation||804 ft (245 m)|
|• Density||208.4/sq mi (80.5/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1087061|
Oxford Township is one of the twenty-two townships of Tuscarawas County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 5,133 people in the township, 1,125 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the southwestern corner of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Salem Township - north
- Washington Township - east
- Monroe Township, Guernsey County - southeast corner
- Wheeling Township, Guernsey County - south
- Oxford Township, Coshocton County - west
- Adams Township, Coshocton County - northwest corner
The village of Newcomerstown is located in northern Oxford Township.
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees. The current trustees are Milford Addy, Ed Patrick, and Larry Stein, and the fiscal officer is Gary Chaney.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Tuscarawas County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- Tuscarawas County, Ohio — Engineer: Joseph S. Bachman. Tuscarawas County. Accessed 2007-06-01.