|Original author(s)||Skalfa, LLC|
|Initial release||August 2010|
1.8.4 / July 25, 2016
|License||Common Public Attribution License|
Oxwall is forum software distributed under the Common Public Attribution License. It is used as a platform for social networking and community sites. The default Oxwall software core contains basic community features that include uploading/sharing content, friends networking, profile and page layout customization, user and content management, built-in SEO. Oxwall comes with several default themes that are customizable with admin dashboard tools. The Oxwall core is extensible by plugins. The plugins are available at the Oxwall Store, and are provided both by native and third-party developers. Plugin installation is performed via the admin dashboard.
With the release of software build 1.6 on January 8, 2014, Oxwall officially announced the support of its in-house Mobile Browser Version, optimized for performance in major mobile browsers currently available on the market.
Oxwall software was initially developed by Skalfa LLC, a commercial organization, as a platform for the hosted social network builder - Wall.fm. The private testing started in 2009. In January 2010 the company launched a public beta of Wall.fm, and in August 2010 it released Oxwall as an open source project to create a competitive advantage for the hosted service.
In February 2011 (Oxwall 1.0.4) Skalfa LLC stakeholders donated the intellectual rights and Oxwall trademark to a non-profit organization - Oxwall Foundation - in order to make the project purely open source.
Oxwall Foundation is an independent non-profit organization founded in 2011 to continue development of the Oxwall software and oversee all related long-term projects. Oxwall foundation staff is the team of developers that initially worked on the product at Skalfa LLC.
- Emil Sarnogoev, Chairman
- Sardar Madumarov, VP Technology
- Denis Juikov, VP Operations
- Sergey Kambalin
- Egor Bulgakov
- Evgeniy Podyachev
- Zarif Safiullin
- Yulka Sarnogoeva
At present, Skalfa is the main donator of Oxwall Foundation.
Oxwall software has a community of users and developers interacting on the Oxwall Market and forum. Oxwall users can get support assistance, report bugs and post feature suggestions on the forum moderated by the Oxwall staff.
In October 2011 Oxwall Foundation launched Oxwall Club, an alliance of officially recognized communities providing local software promotion and support to Oxwall users. Oxwall Club members receive advanced software news and additional support from Oxwall Foundation.
Oxwall software provides an advantage of simplified programming interface, which allows to develop and integrate plugins without making changes to the main core. Oxwall software is supplied with all necessary documentation on plugin development.
- , Oxwall Software Blog, July 26, 2016
- Oxwall: Ning Alternative? Archived 2011-10-05 at the Wayback Machine., Openedweb Education and Technology Blog, Aug 22, 2010
- Oxwall Now in Softaculous, Oxwall Software Blog, Mar 31, 2011
- Oxwall in Softaculous Software Collection
- Oxwall 1.6 released
- WALL.FM: A Free, Online, Social Networking Tool Archived 2012-03-24 at the Wayback Machine., DE Tools of The Trade for Online Educators, Feb 1, 2011
- Meet Oxwall Software, Oxwall Software Blog, Aug 4, 2010
- Free With/From Wall.fm Archived 2011-09-01 at the Wayback Machine.
- Oxwall Foundation, by Emil Sarnogoev, Oxwall Software Blog, Apr 6, 2011
- Oxwall Foundation Official Webpage
- Oxwall Policy Changes and Oxwall Club, Oxwall Software Blog, Oct 21, 2011
- Oxwal Partners
- Docs: plugin development crash course, Oxwall Software Blog, Aug 27, 2010