Oxygen Not Included
|Oxygen Not Included|
|Engine||Unity (game engine)|
Oxygen Not Included is a simulation survival game. At the start of a new game, three colonists find themselves in an asteroid with isolated pockets of breathable atmosphere, with no memory how they got there. The player is tasked with managing and taking care of these colonists as they try to survive and create a sustainable makeshift space colony. The player must monitor the colonists' hunger, waste, and oxygen levels to keep them alive. Each game's world is procedurally generated. While initial areas will include breathable atmosphere, areas within the world will be in vacuum or lack oxygen, requiring proper preparation by the colonists before they explore into these areas. The game simulates the diffusion of gases and equalization of atmospheres when a new natural chamber is opened, which can cause oxygen levels to drop in existing chambers, as well as the draining of liquids by gravity.
To help establish the colony, the player directs the colonists to perform certain tasks, such as mining for resources, growing food, crafting equipment, researching new technologies, and maintaining their own health through nourishment, rest, and hygiene. The player does not control the colonists directly, and instead provides prioritized instructions, from which the colonists will then follow to the best of their abilities. For example, the player can order a conduit of wire to be built; which will have the colonists collect the materials to make the wire, clear away any materials around the conduit's path, and then construct the wire. If the colonists cannot access a source of copper for the wire, the task will remain uncompleted as the colonists go to complete other tasks they can do. Colonists have stats that determine how effective they are at certain tasks, and will prioritize tasks that they are best at. These colonists' skills can be improved over time and practice.
Development and release
Oxygen Not Included is developed by Vancouver-based indie studio Klei Entertainment. The game was announced for Windows during the PC Gaming Show at the Electronic Entertainment Expo 2016. An in-development version of the game was planned and has been released via early access since February 15, 2017.
- "103769 – Unity based games do not start". bugs.freedesktop.org. Retrieved 2018-08-12.
- "Tiles implementation question". Unity Answers. Retrieved 2018-08-12.
- Robertson, Tyler (December 15, 2017). "Will there be a be OSX and Linux support?". Klei Entertainment. Klei Entertainment. Retrieved February 26, 2018.
- Robertson, Tyler (September 11, 2016). "PAX: Klei's Oxygen Not Included is Incredibly Complicated and Awesome". Hardcore Gamer. Hardcore Gamer. Retrieved September 12, 2016.
- Welsh, Oli (June 13, 2016). "The amazing Klei's next game is Oxygen Not Included". Eurogamer. Gamer Network. Retrieved September 12, 2016.
- "Oxygen Not Included Pre-Release Alpha - Available Now!". Klei Entertainment. February 15, 2017. Retrieved February 20, 2017.