|Directed by||Anand Ranga|
|Produced by||DVV Danayya|
|Written by||Anand Ranga|
|Music by||Yuvan Shankar Raja|
|Cinematography||Vijay K Chakravarthi|
|Edited by||Marthand K Venkatesh|
|Distributed by||Universal Media|
|Budget||₹10 crore (US$1.6 million)|
|Box office||₹12 crore (US$1.9 million)(share approx)|
Oye! (English: Hey!) is a 2009 Indian Telugu drama film written and directed by newcomer Anand Ranga, who assisted Bhaskar in the Telugu film Bommarillu. The film stars Siddharth and child artiste-turned-heroine Baby Shamili of Mani Ratnam Anjali fame in lead roles. The film, which has music composed by Yuvan Shankar Raja, was released on 3 July 2009. On 11 December 2015 Gemini TV telecasted the movie including deleted scenes. Although an above average grosser at box office, this movie achieved cult status later on.
Uday (Siddharth), is a rich kid who becomes chairman of a company following the death of his father. He believes in the adage of life is short and carpe diem. At New Year's Party 2007, he spies on a girl called Sandhya (Shamili) in a salwar-kameez, writing a diary at the pub.
Through a series of searches with his friend "Fatso" (Krishnudu), he ends up discovering that Sandhya lives alone at a beach side house and runs a nursery. She is very traditional with her own ideals. He enters in her house on a pretense as a Paying Guest to make her fall in love with him. After a series of attempts to woo Sandhya, Uday eventually succeeds and presents her with 12 gifts on her birthday, the last being Uday himself.
In a sub-plot, Insurance Salesmen Abishek (Sunil) ends up trying to show his younger and reclusive colleague "How to be a Man" in many lessons that often result in the latter's physical pain. Eventually, the duo collide with the story's main plot when they attempt to sell Sandhya life insurance (which she later agrees to buy). When asked who the beneficiary of the policy should be, she writes Uday's name. When Uday hears this, he thinks he has won Sandhya. However, it is revealed to Uday (through the insurance policy which has now been rejected) that Sandhya is suffering from breast cancer (lobular carcinoma) and has limited time left.
In the ensuing part of the film, Uday takes Sandhya on a cruise to Calcutta to spread her parents ashes in River Ganges. They run into several comic characters in their journey, including a kidnapped Abishek who tries unsuccessfully to tell Sandhya that her policy was rejected because of her illness; his attempts are thwarted by Uday. These circumstances help Uday teach Sandya how to live life, and back from the trip Sandhya and Uday throw a Christmas party at Sandhya's beach house. However, Sandhya collapses in the aftermath of the party and discovers the truth about her health.
Sandhya eventually falls in love with Uday and says that she wants to spend the last days of her life with him.The ending scene has Uday and Sandhya sitting on a bench in the rain with a "Welcome 2008" sign in the background on New Year's Eve. The scene then fades to Uday sitting alone with a "Welcome 2009" sign in the background one year later waiting for the rain. This inferes that Sandhya has died, but Uday still keeps her memories close to heart. The film ends with Uday leaving after the rain.
Cast and crew
- Siddharth as Uday
- Shamili as Sandhya
- Sunil as Abhishek
- Ali as Real Estate Agent-1
- Napoleon as Dr. Harish Chandra Prasad
- Pradeep Rawat as Ras Bihari
- M S Narayana as Hotel Manager
- Tanikella Bharani as Telugu teacher
- Krishnudu as Fatso
- Surekha Vani as Satya
- Master Bharath as Real Estate Agent-2
- Bhanu as Loan recovery goon
- Saptagiri as Abhishek's Assistant
- Story, Scenario, Direction: Anand Ranga
- Dialogues: Rajasimha
- Production: DVV Danayya
- Music: Yuvan Shankar Raja
- Cinematography: Vijay K Chakravarthi
- Editing: Marthand K Venkatesh
- Art direction: Rajeevan
- Stunts: Ram-Laxman
- Lyrics: Chandrabose, Anantha Sreeram, Vanamali, Surendra Krishna & Krishna Chaitanya
- Banner: Universal Media
|Soundtrack album by Yuvan Shankar Raja|
|Released||22 May 2009|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Yuvan Shankar Raja chronology|
The music, including film score and soundtrack was composed by Tamil film composer Yuvan Shankar Raja. The soundtrack, released on 22 May 2009 at Rama Naidu studios, features 6 tracks overall, out of which, Yuvan Shankar Raja himself has sung one song and one song by the film's lead actor Siddharth.yuvan shakar raj music is the one strong point to movie. most of the audieans like the background music during proposing time, on the train and in hospital.The lyrics were penned by five people, with Vanamali writing the lyrics for three of the six songs, Chandrabose, Anantha Sreeram for each one song and Surendra Krishna and Krishna Chaitanya together for the last song. It is interesting to note that the theme is inspired from the Tom Hank starer Epic Romantic Comedy, Forrest Gump.
Yuvan Shankar Raja got much critical acclaim for his musical score, which was described and praised as a "rhythmic joy", "superb", "a blast" and "a highlight of the movie" with most the songs "rocking", the soundtrack album being considered one of the best of 2009. The picturization of songs was equally beautiful. The songs also gained immense attraction, especially among the youth, topping the charts for several weeks.
|2.||"Saradaga"||Anantha Sreeram||Karthik, Sunidhi Chauhan||4:38|
|3.||"Waiting For You"||Vanamali||K.K.||5:54|
|4.||"Anukoledenadu"||Vanamali||Shreya Ghoshal,Swetha Pandith||4:44|
|5.||"Povadhe Prema"||Vanamali||Yuvan Shankar Raja||4:35|
|6.||"Seheri"||Surendra Krishna, Krishna Chaitanya||Toshi Sabri, Priya||4:45|
- "Baby Shamili debuts opposite Siddharth". indiaglitz.com. Retrieved 2009-03-09.
- "Yuvan Shankar Raja to compose music for Oye". ragalahari.com. Retrieved 2009-03-09.
- "Oy! music launch". idlebrain.com. Retrieved 2009-05-23.
- "Oy! audio review". idlebrain.com. Retrieved 2009-07-04.
- "Oy! Telugu movie review". idlebrain.com. Retrieved 2009-07-04.
- "Oye - A love story that tugs your heart". 123telugu.com. Retrieved 2009-07-04.
- "Oye review". idlebrain.com. Retrieved 2009-07-04.
- "Oye - A musical love story". 16reels.com. Retrieved 2009-08-01.
- "‘Oy!’ almost complete". indiaglitz.com. Retrieved 2009-07-04.
- "'Oye' to can last song in Chennai". musicindiaonline.com. Retrieved 2009-07-04.[dead link]
- "Shamili debuts as heroine". indiaglitz.com. Retrieved 2009-07-04.
- "Andhra Mesmerized With Yuvan's Tune". sivajitv.com. Retrieved 2009-07-04.