This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (August 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Ozark Henry in concert in Utrecht, Netherlands, 2006
|Birth name||Piet Goddaer|
|Born||29 April 1970|
Ozark Henry's first album, I'm Seeking Something That Has Already Found Me, was very avant-garde tinged. The third album, Birthmarks, was the transition between earlier experimental music and pop music with classical influences, such as string and wind instruments. Birthmarks' and the subsequent album The Sailor Not The Sea were the final breakthrough for the Belgian public. Since the album The Soft Machine, his albums have been characterized by a more mainstream sound.
Goddaer writes, composes and produces his albums himself, because he wants to be in control when he makes his albums, so that he can best interpret the sound he hears in his head. In addition to regular studio albums, he has also released some soundtracks, including those for the film adaptation of Thea Beckman's 'Crusade in Jeans', and he produces albums for other artists.
Goddaer is known for always performing barefoot.
In his early life, Piet Goddaer was involved in several local bands. As a rapper in the band Word, founded by his brother Jan, Goddaer scored a cult-hit "Henry Man-She" in 1994.
His career really took off when Goddaer started a solo career and adopted the stage name Ozark Henry. The debut album I'm Seeking Something That Has already Found Me was released in 1996 with Double T Music. In an interview, David Bowie praised the album as "debut of the year" , but the record had little commercial success.
The second album of Henry, This Last Warm Solitude, was released in Belgium in 1998. The next year, This Last Warm Solitude was released in the Netherlands, Germany and France, and he received a Zamu Award as best songwriter/composer.
The next album Birthmarks was released in 2001 on Sony Music Entertainment and was the commercial breakthrough for Henry. The singles "Rescue" and "Sweet Instigator" were hits in Belgium, and the album was certified platinum. Henry won two Zamu Awards: best pop/rock and best producer. Henry appeared regularly on television and radio shows that year due to his recent success appearing on chat shows such as Aan tafel.
The fifth album, The Soft Machine, was released in September 2006.
For his tenth anniversary, the compilation album A Decade (A Decade + A Decade - The Remixes) was released.
The sixth album, Hvelreki, was released in October 2010.
Henry also wrote the music for several theatre projects and the soundtrack of the Belgian television series Sedes & Belli, as well as Crusade in Jeans, a movie based on a children's novel by Thea Beckman. He received the Magritte Award for Best Original Score for his work in the 2012 film The World Belongs to Us.
- 2000: won at the Zamu Music Awards an award for "Best Writer Composer-arranger".
- 2001: gold record for his album Birthmarks.
- 2002: platinum record for his album Birthmarks.
- 2004: gold record for his album The sailor not the sea.
- 2004: platinum record for his album The sailor not the sea.
- 2005: double platinum record for his album The sailor not the sea.
- 2006: gold record for his album The soft machine.
- 2006: platinum record for his album The soft machine.
- 2007: gold record for his album A decade.
- 2010: gold record for his single This one's for you.
- 2010: gold record for his album Hvelreki.
- 2010: platinum record for his album Hvelreki.
- 2011: won the 'MIA' for "Best Pop Artist" at the Music Industry Awards.
- 2013: won with the song I'm your sacrifice, sung together with singer Amaryllis Uitterlinden, the Radio 2 Hit of the Summer.
- 2013: gold record for his single I'm your sacrifice.
- 2013: platinum record for his single I'm your sacrifice.
- 2013: gold record for his album Stay gold.
- 2014: platinum record for his album Stay gold.
The United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) has appointed Piet Goddaer as its national goodwill ambassador against human trafficking. The appointment of Mr. Goddaer is aimed at increasing visibility and assisting in mobilizing support in the country to tackle human trafficking. Next to his work for the UNODC, he actively supports 'Bike For Africa'.
Ozark Henry has a fairly extensive oeuvre. For an extensive discography, including singles, release dates and hit ratings, see the article Ozark Henry discography. Below is a list of all standard albums.