|Directed by||Sanal Kumar Sasidharan|
|Screenplay by||no formal screenplay|
by Unni R.
Nistar Ahamed |
|Music by||Basil Joseph|
|Edited by||Appu N. Bhattathiri|
|Distributed by||Bigdream release|
|Budget||₹20 lakh (US$29,000)|
Ozhivu Divasathe Kali (English title: An Off-Day Game) is a 2015 Indian Malayalam indie drama film directed by Sanal Kumar Sasidharan, based on the short story of the same name by Unni R. The film follows five middle-aged men who get together for a booze party during an election holiday in Kerala. It won the 46th Kerala State Film Award for Best Film.
The film was initially showcased at the festival circuits on October 2015, including the International Film Festival of Kerala and the Mumbai Film Festival. The film has only 70 shots, with the second half of the film being just a single shot. Under Aashiq Abu's initiative, the film got a limited theatrical release in Kerala on 17 June 2016.
On an election holiday, five friends get together for a booze party. Their only intention is fun and refreshment. As the time passes they start to open up the hidden wildness of their real nature. Tired and bored in arguments they plan to play a game. A game they used to play in their childhood.
- Nisthar Sait as Dharman
- Baiju Netto as Dasan
- Girish Nair as Thirumeni
- Pradeep Kumar as Vinayan
- Reju Pillai as Narayanan
- Abhija Sivakala as Geetha
- Arun Nair as Ashokan
- Sridhar P.U. as Ganeshan
Development and production
The film is based on the story of well known short story writer Unni R. The story has been successfully adopted to make political satire. There was no script while shooting the film. The film has some unique features because of this making pattern. All the dialogues are evolved due to improvisations and it contains some fine long takes. One of the lengthy shots conceived in the film is 53 minutes.
Charu Nivedita called this film, 'a miracle in Indian cinema'. Deborah Young of The Hollywood Reporter gave a positive review, saying that "The classic buddy movie is cleverly revisited with a critical eye on Indian politics and society... Sasidharan builds suspense all the way to the sickening climax." Gautaman Bhaskaran of the Hindustan Times gave a positive review. He called the film "a griping tale of corruption" and concluded by saying "An Off-Day Game, finally, is a brutal look at the way the Constitution is used for the benefit of some, at the way caste politics and colour prejudices have been wrecking our lives." After the 17the of June theatrical release, G. Ragesh of Manorama Online gave a favorable review with a 3 stars out of 5. Ragesh concluded with "Ozhivu Divasathe Kali must be watched as a political movie, but without any prejudice. It's a deliberate take on hypocrisies in the society, an entertaining trial in which you would find yourself either in the spot of the victim or the culprit."
Awards and accolades
- FIPRESCI Award for the Best Malayalam film in the International Film Festival of Kerala (IFFK)
- Kerala State Film Award for Best Film - 2015
- Kerala State Film Award for Best Sound Recordist - 2015
- Official Selection in International Film Festival of Kerala IFFK2015
- Official Selection in Mumbai Academy of the Moving Image MAMI2015
- Selection in Film Bazaar Recommends, Goa 
- "Chiselling out a movie from fiction". Kochi, India: The Hindu. 12 August 2015.
- "Treating films in a new way". Thiruvananthapuram, India: Deccan Chronicle. 2015-07-04.
- "Ozhivudivasathe Kali: Big screen adaptation of a short story". Mumbai, India: cinetrooth. 3 November 2015.
- "Mumbai Review". People Magazines. 3 November 2015.
- "Ozhivudivasathe Kali: Big screen adaptation of a short story". Cinetrooth.com. 15 August 2015.
- "Big Dream Release". Big Dream Release.
- "An Off-Day Game". Internet Movie Database.
- "A gripping tale of corruption". Hindustan Times. Panaji, India. 22 November 2015.
- "'Charlie' sweeps Kerala State film awards; 'Ozhivudivasathe Kali' adjudged Best film". The Hindu. Trivandrum, India. 1 March 2016.
- "Ozhivu Divasathe Kali to release on June 17". Onlookersmedia.in. 18 May 2016.
- "The twain seem to meet". The Hindu. 28 May 2016.
- "Synopsis". Anoffdaygame.com.
- "Treating films in a new way". Deccan Chronicle. Thiruvananthapuram,India. 4 July 2015.
- Deborah Young (2 November 2015). "'An Off-Day Game': Mumbai Review". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 8 June 2016.
- Gautaman Bhaskaran (22 November 2015). "An Off-Day Game: A gripping tale of corruption". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 8 June 2016.
- "'An Off-Day Game': Mumbai Review". Manorama Online. 17 June 2015. Retrieved 19 June 2016.
- "Malayalam film sweeps all IFFK awards". Indiatoday. 11 December 2015.
- "Nine Malayalam Movies at IFFK- 2015". The New Indian Express.
- "Malayalam Cinema Today". Kerala State Chalachitra Academy.
- "JIO MAMI WITH STAR INDIA". Mumbai Academy of the Moving Image.
- "Mumbai Film Festival Full Line-up Revealed". Jamura.com. 7 October 2015.
- "What's the buzz at Film Bazaar 2015?". screendaily.com. 24 November 2015.