Type of site
OZON.ru is the first and the leading Russian online retailer, established in 1998. Today, OZON.ru is one of the biggest Russian online multicategory e-commerce platforms. OZON.ru offers assortment of up to 1.6mn SKUs across 24 product categories and attracts 1.5 mn daily active users. In 2018, the company grew its GMV by 73% reporting a record growth since 2008 and fulfilled 15.5 min customers orders. OZON.ru has its own fulfillment infrastructure that allows the next day delivery to 40% of the Russian population. The company's logistics footprint comprises 7 fulfillment centers in Russia with total space of over 100k sqm; the company operates its own courier delivery service and has a network of more than 5000 pickup points and lockers across Russia.
CEO of OZON.ru is Alexander Shulgin who joined the company late 2017 from Yandex, where he served as COO of the Group and CEO of the Russian business. In 2018, OZON strengthened its management and IT team with talents from major Russian and international tech and ecommerce companies including Yandex, Mail.ru, Alibaba and Lazada.
OZON.ru is a part of OZON Holding, which also owns the leading online travel booking platform OZON.travel and a blocking stake in Russia's largest digital bookstore Litres.
- OZON.ru was established in 1998 as an online bookseller by the Russian software house Reksoft. The company has shortly expanded its assortment with music and video CDs and DVDs.
- In 1999, ru-Net Holdings purchased a controlling stake in the company for $1.8mn and committed to invest $1.2mn in OZON during 2000.
- In 2000, Baring Vostok became a controlling shareholder in OZON, having invested $3mn in the company. OZON generated sales of $1.3mn in 2000.
- In 2001, OZON.ru expanded its assortment with software goods. The company also launched delivery to 400 cities in Russia in partnership with courier delivery company SPSR.
- In 2002, ru-Net purchased Reksoft's stake in OZON. OZON.ru has started to add new product categories such as toys and electronics.
- In 2005, OZON announced appointment of Bernard Lukey as new CEO who joined the company from Nestle Nespresso Switzerland. OZON opened a logistics center in Tver with total space of 6.5k sqm and became the first Russian online store with its own modern logistics center.
- In 2006, company showed online sales growth of 77% to $34mn. Considering logistics, OZON.ru launched same-day and next-day delivery in Moscow.
- In April 2007, Ozon.ru received an $18mn investment from Holtzbrinck Ventures, Index Ventures and Baring Vostok. During the year, OZON added cosmetics and jewelry categories to its assortment, as well as launched digital ad sales on its website, with HP, Intel, Sony and Beeline among the first advertisers.
- In 2008, OZON sales grew by 55% and reached $102mn. During the year, OZON announced construction of a new logistics centre in Tver with space of 10k sqm and operating capacity of 4.7mn orders per year. OZON.ru added digital books to the assortment.
- In 2009, OZON announced the launch of its OTA (online travel agency) platform OZON.travel. In addition, during the year, OZON.ru introduced its new loyalty program. OZON.ru sales grew by 21% in 2009.
- In 2011, OZON raised $100 million in a round led by ru-Net with the participation of Rakuten, Alpha Associates and Index Ventures. This was the largest private investment in the Russian ecommerce market to date. OZON Holding GMV grew by 78% and reached RUB8.9bn during the year. Maelle Gavet who was previously in charge of marketing at OZON.ru became the new CEO. OZON.ru added footwear category to its assortment during the year.
- In 2012, OZON Holding showed GMV growth of 73%, with net sales of goods up 63% vs the previous year. In 2012, OZON acquired an online fashion store Sapato.ru which saw $25mn in sales in 2011 and took the third position in Russia in terms of brand recognition (the company was later sold).
- In 2014, AFK Sistema and MTS invested $150mn in OZON for a 20% stake. During the year, OZON acquired a minority stake in Litres, leader in Russia's fast growing e-book market. OZON has also updated its brand positioning to highlight its assortment breadth in 2014.
- In 2015, OZON.ru increased its turnover by 33%. The company added apparel and food product categories to its assortment. The company has also announced appointment of Danny Perekalsky as new CEO. Mr Perekalsky has been in charge of marketing at OZON since 2014 and previously had management experience at food retailers Dixy and Metro.
- In 2016, OZON.ru net sales grew by 20% to RUB14.2bn. During the year, OZON expanded its logistics infrastructure with the opening of a 6.8k sqm fulfillment center in Ekaterinburg and a 3.5k sqm fulfillment center in Kazan. The company expanded its assortment with home improvement goods.
- In 2017, OZON announced appointment of Alexander Shulgin as new CEO. Mr. Shulgin has joined the company from Yandex where he has been company COO since 2014 and CFO since 2010. Mr. Shulgin managed Yandex's IPO on NASDAQ.
- In 2017, OZON expanded its fulfillment center in the Tver region by 14k sqm to 40k sqm and launched a 5k sqm fulfillment center in Krasnodar. The company has added fresh food category to its assortment, launched its own OZON Box parcel lockers and announced a joint project with Pharmacy Chain 36,6 on online pharmacy selling.
- In 2018, OZON announced that it raised $61mn (with potential for extension to $92mn) from the existing shareholders led by Baring Vostok and MTS to support the development of logistics structure, assortment expansion and new projects. In the first half of 2018, OZON.ru attracted over 100 IT talents to its team. Vast majority of the new developers and product managers joined OZON from Lazada. The company announced the plans to hire 200 more employees in the near future, aiming to strengthen its technological platform. In June 2018, OZON headquarters moved to the new office at Moscow-City International Business Center.
- In 2018 OZON grew its GMV by 73% which is up to 4 times faster than the Russian e-commerce market.
- In early 2019 the internet company launched a service that will allow customers to grant loans to small and medium businesses among Ozon’s 2,000+ supplier which will support its marketplace growth. OZON also was the first in Russia to launch consumer loans for multi category online purchases as well as a bank card with cash back. OZON plans to double its fulfillment infrastructure this year by opening a huge logistics hub of more than 100 000 sq.m in Moscow suburbs.
- 2005 data[permanent dead link][permanent dead link] from NAUET
- Трифонов, Евгений (2012-10-19). "Как появился Озон". vc.ru. Retrieved 2018-07-03.
- "Ozon" Archived 2009-02-17 at the Wayback Machine at Baring Vostok website (in Russian)
- "Бернар Люке назначен Генеральным директором "Интернет Решения"". www.ozon.ru. Retrieved 2018-07-03.
- "Интернет-магазин OZON.ru подводит итоги работы в 2006 году". www.ozon.ru. Retrieved 2018-07-03.
- "Ozon.ru Receives USD 18 million in PE Investments". Investment Intelligence s.r.o. Archived from the original on 2016-03-03. Retrieved 2009-07-20.
- "Интернет-магазин OZON.ru подводит итоги первого полугодия 2007 года". www.ozon.ru. Retrieved 2018-07-03.
- ""OZON.ru" начинает строительство нового комплекса в Твери". www.ozon.ru. Retrieved 2018-07-03.
- "Интернет-магазин OZON.ru отмечает рост продаж в 2008 году и первом квартале 2009 года". www.ozon.ru. Retrieved 2018-07-03.
- "Цифровые книги в интернет-магазине OZON.ru". www.ozon.ru. Retrieved 2018-07-03.
- "OZON.ru closes $100 million funding to support company growth". www.ozon.ru. Retrieved 2018-07-03.
- "OZON.ru: итоги работы в 2010 году. Открытие нового направления "Обувь"". www.ozon.ru. Retrieved 2018-07-03.
- "Генеральным директором интернет-магазина OZON.ru назначается Маэль Гавэ". www.ozon.ru. Retrieved 2018-07-03.
- "Холдинг OZON: итоги работы в 2011 году". www.ozon.ru. Retrieved 2018-07-03.
- "Холдинг OZON анонсирует итоги 2012 года". www.ozon.ru. Retrieved 2018-07-03.
- "OZON покупает Sapato.ru". www.ozon.ru. Retrieved 2018-07-03.
- "OZON Holdings Announces $150 Million Investment from Sistema and MTS". www.ozon.ru. Retrieved 2018-07-03.
- "OZON приобрел долю в российском онлайн-магазине электронных книг LitRes.ru". www.ozon.ru. Retrieved 2018-07-03.
- "Обновленное позиционирование OZON.ru". www.ozon.ru. Retrieved 2018-07-03.
- "В кризис OZON.ru вырос на 33%". www.ozon.ru. Retrieved 2018-07-03.
- "Новый генеральный директор OZON". www.ozon.ru. Retrieved 2018-07-03.
- "OZON.ru подвел итоги 2016 года В планах на 2017 обеспечить доставку на следующий день для покупателей OZON.ru на юге РФ". www.ozon.ru. Retrieved 2018-07-03. line feed character in
|title=at position 31 (help)
- "Онлайн-магазин OZON.ru запускает доставку на следующий день в УрФО благодаря открытию склада в Екатеринбурге". www.ozon.ru. Retrieved 2018-07-03.
- "OZON.ru открыл склад в Казани, чтобы доставлять товары покупателям за 1 день". www.ozon.ru. Retrieved 2018-07-03.
- "OZON.ru объявляет о назначении Александра Шульгина руководителем компании". www.ozon.ru. Retrieved 2018-07-03.
- "OZON.ru инвестировал 1,5 миллиарда рублей в расширение собственного склада в Тверской области". www.ozon.ru. Retrieved 2018-07-03.
- "Открытие складского комплекса OZON.ru в Краснодаре". www.ozon.ru. Retrieved 2018-07-03.
- "OZON.ru начал продавать свежие продукты". www.ozon.ru. Retrieved 2018-07-03.
- "OZON.ru запустил собственную сеть постаматов OZON Box". www.ozon.ru. Retrieved 2018-07-03.
- "Совместный проект ПАО "Аптечная сеть 36,6" и OZON.ru официально стартовал". www.ozon.ru. Retrieved 2018-07-03.
- "OZON получит инвестиции в размере 5,25 млрд рублей". www.ozon.ru. Retrieved 2018-07-03.
- Khabibrakhimov, Albert (2018-06-22). "Ozon нанял 100 сотрудников для новых проектов и решил удвоить штат разработки". vc.ru. Retrieved 2018-07-03.
- "OZON переехал в Сити". www.ozon.ru. Retrieved 2018-07-03.