Pádraig Ó Snodaigh
Pádraig Ó Snodaigh (born 1935, Carlow, Ireland) is an Irish language activist, poet, writer and publisher. He worked for the Irish Electricity Supply Board, and later in the National Museum of Ireland. He is a former president of Conradh na Gaeilge, the Gaelic League.
From 1974 to 1977, he was the editor of Carn, the official magazine of the Celtic League. In 1980, Ó Snodaigh founded the publishing company Coiscéim which has published hundreds of books in Irish. He has written poetry, novels, and historical essays as well.
One of his most famous books is Hidden Ulster, Protestants and the Irish language. Another noted book is Two Godfathers of Revisionism (1991), which contains a discussion of Eugene Kamenka's book on nationalism as well as a critique of the revisionist view of the 1916 Rising in Irish history. Ó Snodaigh argues against the views of this event made by Irish historians F.X. Martin and Francis Shaw (the "two godfathers" of the book's title), whom he claims are arguing from an anti-nationalist perspective.
He is married to the artist Cliodhna Cussen. His son Aengus is a Sinn Féin TD. Three other sons, Rossa, Rónán, and Colm are in the band Kíla. His other sons are Cormac and Fergus who owned and operated a security firm for 20 years until 2004.
Irish Language Publications
- Comhghuaillithe na Réabhlóide 1913-1916. Dublin : An Clóchomhar, 1966.
- Ua Rathghaille Dublin : Foilseachain Poblachtacha, (1970).
- Eireannaigh sa Chogadh Chathartha sna Stáit Aontaithe (1970)
- Litreacha oscailte le Pádraic Mac Piarais. Dublin : Club Chonradh na Gaeilge, i bpáirt le Clodhanna Teo, (1979).
- Linda: Dublin, Coiscéim, 1987.
- Cúl le cúl : Dublin : Coiscéim, 1988.
- Ó Pharnell go Queenie. Dublin : Coiscéim, 1991.
- Ceatharlach i 1798 : amharc ar na staraithe Dublin : Coiscéim thar ceann Cumann Oidhreachta Chontae Cheatharlach, 1991.
- An tAmhrán Éireannach : (i gcuimhne Bobby Sands).Conte, Guisseppe. (leagan gaeilge le Pádraig Ó Snodaigh). Dublin : Coiscéim, 1991.
- Ón Droichead go dtí an Duibheagán : Téamaí staire ón tréimhse Nollaig 1921 go tús Chogadh na gCarad. Coiscéim, 1997.
English Language Publications
- Ireland and the Common Market : a second Act of Union?.
Dublin : Common Market Study Group, 1972.
- Hidden Ulster. Dublin : Clodhanna Teo, 1973. (Revised editions appeared in 1977 and 1995).
- Modern literature in Irish : survival, revival, arrival
London : Connolly Association, c.1984.
- Irish Political Documents: 1916-1949
Blackrock : Irish Academic Press, c.1985.
- Irish Political Documents, 1869-1916
Dublin : Irish Academic Press, c1989.
- Two Godfathers of Revisionism : 1916 in the Revisionist Canon.
Dublin : Fulcrum Press, 1991.
- The Irish volunteers 1715-1793 : a list of the units
Blackrock, Co. Dublin : Irish Academic Press, 1995.
- Pádraig Ó Snodaigh Bibliography at the Princess Grace Irish Library
- Irish Writers Online - Pádraig Ó Snodaigh
- Two Godfathers of Revisionism: 1916 In The Revisionist Canon by Pádraig Ó Snodaigh. Dublin : Fulcrum Press, 1991.
- "Tackling the Revisionist Hierarchy" , Liam O Coileain, An Phoblacht, April 9th 1992, pg.10. Review of Two Godfathers of Revisionism.