Ruins of the medieval church in Pälkäne
Location of Pälkäne in Finland
|Sub-region||Southeast Pirkanmaa sub-region|
|• Municipal manager||Esko Arasalo|
|• Total||560.48 km2 (216.40 sq mi)|
|• Land||560.49 km2 (216.41 sq mi)|
|• Water||177.65 km2 (68.59 sq mi)|
|Area rank||152nd largest in Finland|
|• Rank||149th largest in Finland|
|• Density||11.92/km2 (30.9/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||98.8% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||16.9%|
|• 15 to 64||60.8%|
|• 65 or older||22.3%|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
|Municipal tax rate||20%|
Pälkäne is in the province of Western Finland and is part of the Pirkanmaa region. The municipality has a population of 6,682 (31 March 2016) and covers an area of 560.48 square kilometres (216.40 sq mi) of which 177.65 km2 (68.59 sq mi). The population density is 11.92 inhabitants per square kilometre (30.9/sq mi).
The municipality is unilingually Finnish. Many people from Helsinki and the surrounding cities own summer cottages and residences in Pälkäne, making the small town very busy during summer vacation seasons. Pälkäne is a very popular summer vacation resort given its diverse services, high-quality swimming beach, beautiful nature and close location to big cities. From start of year 2007 Palkäne and Luopioinen were merged to a new municipality of Pälkäne.
- "Population density by area 1.1.2016". Statistics Finland. Retrieved 12 February 2017.
- "Ennakkoväkiluku sukupuolen mukaan alueittain, maaliskuu.2016" (in Finnish). Statistics Finland. Retrieved 31 March 2016.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
Media related to Pälkäne at Wikimedia Commons
- Municipality of Pälkäne – Official website
|This Western Finland location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|