P. D. Eastman
|P. D. Eastman|
|Born||Philip Dey Eastman
November 25, 1909
|Died||January 7, 1986
Cresskill, New Jersey
|Occupation||Writer, illustrator, storyboard artist|
|Spouse||Mary Louise Whitham|
Eastman was born in Amherst, Massachusetts to Clarence Willis and Ann Hull (Dey) Eastman. After studying at Phillips Academy, Andover and Williston Academy, he graduated from Amherst College in 1933 and later from the National Academy of Design in New York City.
In film and animation
From 1936 to 1941, Eastman worked at Walt Disney Productions in assistant animation, story-sketch, and production design. From 1941 to 1942, he worked in the story department of Leon Schlesinger Productions, Warner Brothers's cartoon unit, and was a member of Local Number Eight Hundred And Thirty-Nine of Motion Picture Screen Cartoonists, the trade union to which cartoonists belonged in the United States.
In 1942, Eastman was inducted into the Army. He was assigned to the Signal Corps Film Unit which was headed by Theodor Geisel, who later became known as Dr. Seuss. Here, Eastman conducted picture planning for animated sequences in orientation and training films, and he also wrote scripts and drew storyboards for the Private Snafu series for Army-Navy Screen Magazine.
From 1945 to 1952, Eastman worked at United Productions of America (UPA). He was a writer and storyboard artist for the Mr. Magoo series. Eastman and Bill Scott co-wrote the screenplay for the animated comedy Gerald McBoing-Boing, which won an Oscar for Best Animated Short Subject in 1951. Eastman also directed educational films and worked on the Flight Safety series for the Bureau of Aeronautics, U.S.N. while at UPA.
Eastman was a protégé and colleague of Theodor Geisel by the time that Geisel had begun using the pen name of Dr. Seuss. He wrote many books for children in his own distinct style under the Dr. Seuss brand of Random House, many of which were in the Beginner Books series. His titles include:
- Are You My Mother? (ISBN 0-394-80018-4) (Beginner Book #18)
- Go, Dog. Go! (ISBN 0-394-80020-6) (Beginner Book #20)
- The Best Nest (ISBN 0-394-80051-6) (Beginner Book #51)
- Flap Your Wings (ISBN 0-375-80243-6) (Beginner Book #88) - originally published as an Early Bird Book and a Pictureback
- The Cat in the Hat Beginner Book Dictionary (ISBN 0-394-81009-0) (Beginner Books)
- What Time Is It? (ISBN 0-375-81362-4) (Bright and Early Board Books) - currently only available as an ebook
- Sam and the Firefly (ISBN 0-394-80006-0) (Beginner Book #6)
- Big Dog...Little Dog (ISBN 0-375-82297-6), with additional illustrations by Peter Anthony Eastman (Beginner Book #92)
- Red, Stop! Green, Go! (ISBN 0-375-82503-7) (Bright and Early Playtime Books)
- Sam and Gus Light Up The Night (ISBN 0-375-82926-1) (Bright and Early Playtime Books)
- My Nest Is Best (ISBN 0-375-83267-X) (Bright and Early Playtime Books)
- The Alphabet Book (ISBN 978-0-553-51111-6) (Bright and Early Books #41) - originally published as a Pictureback
- The Alphabet Book (ISBN 0-375-80603-2) (Bright and Early Board Books)
- Are You My Mother? (ISBN 0-679-89047-5) (Bright and Early Board Books) (Big Bright and Early Board Books)
- Go, Dog. Go!: P.D. Eastman's Book of Things That Go (0-679-88629-X) (Bright and Early Board Books) (Big Bright and Early Board Books)
- Big Dog...Little Dog: A Bedtime Story (ISBN 0-394-83312-0) (Pictureback)
- Big Dog...Little Dog (ISBN 0-375-87539-5)(Bright and Early Board Books)
- Aaron is a Good Sport (ISBN 978-0-553-50842-0)(Step into Reading level 1) adapted from Everything Happens to Aaron in the Spring (Take Along Books)
- Aaron Has a Lazy Day (ISBN 978-0-553-50844-4)(Step into Reading level 1) adapted from Everything Happens to Aaron in the Summer (Take Along Books)
- Aaron Loves Apples and Pumpkins (ISBN 978-0-553-51234-2)(Step into Reading level 1) adapted from Everything Happens to Aaron in the Autumn (Take Along Books)
- Aaron is Cool (ISBN 978-0-553-51237-3)(Step into Reading level 1) adapted from Everything Happens to Aaron in the Winter (Take Along Books)
He was the illustrator for:
- A Fish Out of Water written by Helen Palmer Geisel (ISBN 0-394-80023-0) (Beginner Book #23)
- Robert the Rose Horse by Joan Heilbroner (ISBN 0-394-80025-7) (Beginner Book #25)
- I'll Teach My Dog 100 Words by Michael K. Frith (ISBN 0-394-82692-2) (Bright and Early Books #17)
- I'll Teach My Dog a Lot of Words by Michael K. Frith (ISBN 0-375-80099-9) (Bright and Early Board Books)
He wrote but did not illustrate:
His work is included in:
- The Big Red Book of Beginner Books (978-0-375-86531-2)(I Want to Be Somebody New!: A Sequel to Put Me in the Zoo, Sam and the Firefly, Stop That Ball!, Robert the Rose Horse, The Very Bad Bunny, and The Digging-est Dog (1995)(2010)
- The Big Blue Book of Beginner Books (ISBN 978-0-375-85552-8)(Put Me in the Zoo, A Fly Went By, Are You My Mother?, Go, Dog. Go!, The Best Nest and It's Not Easy Being a Bunny) (1994)(2008)
- The Big Purple Book of Beginner Books (ISBN 978-0-307-97587-4)(A Fish Out of Water, Snow, I'll Teach My Dog 100 Words, Flap Your Wings, Big Dog...Little Dog and Fred and Ted Go Camping (2012)
Eastman was married in 1941 to Mary Louise Whitham of Glendale, California. He had two sons, Alan Eastman and Peter Anthony (Tony) Eastman, an animator, who himself directed video adaptations of Richard Scarry's children's books. Peter has also written and illustrated Fred and Ted Go Camping (2005), Fred and Ted Like to Fly (2007), and Fred and Ted's Road Trip (2011), and contributed new illustrations to several reissues of his father's books, The Alphabet Book (2000), Big Dog... Little Dog (2003), Red Stop! Green Go! (2004), and The Cat in the Hat Beginner Book Dictionary (2007).
- von Schmidt, Caitlin. "P.D. Eastman". P.D. Eastman Books. Retrieved 10 March 2018.