P. K. Smith
|Perry K. Smith|
|Louisiana State Representative from Winn Parish|
|Preceded by||Ashton B. Collier|
|Succeeded by||Ashton B. Collier|
September 21, 1917|
Winnfield, Winn Parish, Louisiana, USA
|Died||March 1983 (aged 65)|
|Spouse(s)||Marjorie M. Smith|
Perry Joe Smith, Sr. (deceased)
(1) At various times, P. K. Smith and his family operated in Winnfield a successful automobile dealership, a drive-in theater, a motel, a restaurant, a dress shop, a beauty shop, and a discount store outlet.(2) Smith, a former one-term member of the Louisiana House of Representatives, did not live to see his younger son, Kenneth Michael "Mike" Smith, become a three-term member of the Louisiana State Senate.
Perry K. Smith, known as P. K. Smith (September 21, 1917 – March 1983), was a businessman from Winnfield, Louisiana, who served a single term in the Louisiana House of Representatives from 1960 to 1964 during the administration of Governor Jimmie Davis. In 1974, Smith and his sons, Kenneth Michael "Mike" Smith and Perry Joe Smith, Sr. (1943–2009), launched P. K. Smith Motors, which serves Winnfield and Jonesboro as the General Motors dealer. It was also the Chrysler outlet until the company pulled out of Winnfield in 2009. Mike Smith co-owned P. K. Smith Motors with his brother. In 1995, Mike Smith was elected to the first of three four-year terms to the Louisiana State Senate. Perry Joe Smith was a former member of the Winn Parish Police Jury and operated several areas businesses.
The Smith family over the years was also involved in other businesses in Winnfield, including a motel, restaurant, drive-in theater, dress shop, beauty shop, and an outlet of the former Gibson Discount Company. Smith's wife, the former Marjorie McLamore (March 27, 1923 – April 30, 1997), began the beauty shop from their home.
Smith ran unsuccessfully in the 1940s for Winn Parish assessor. A brother, Hardy "Junior" Smith, ran unsuccessfully for sheriff. One of Smith’s sisters, Ruby Smith Long (1906–1984) of Natchitoches, was the mother of Gerald Long, a Republican who was elected to succeed Mike Smith in the state Senate in the nonpartisan blanket primary held on October 20, 2007. Mike Smith is therefore an extended member of the Long political family, originally based in Winnfield.
- "Social Security Death Index". ssdi.rootsweb.ancestry.com. Retrieved October 31, 2009.
- "Membership in the Louisiana State Senate, 1880-2004" (PDF). legis.state.la.us. Retrieved October 29, 2009.
- "Tom Kelly, "New trade school OK’d in Winn: 'Gold Star' in career, says retiring State Senator Mike Smith"". thepineywoods.com. Retrieved October 29, 2009.
- "P. K. Smith Motors of Winnfield, Louisiana". pksmithmotors.com. Retrieved October 30, 2009.
Ashton B. Collier
|Louisiana State Representative from Winn Parish
Perry K. Smith
Ashton B. Collier