P. F. Mathews
P. F. Mathews
Mathews at the premiere of Ee.Ma.Yau
|Children||Unni Mathews, Anand Mathews|
Poovankery Francis Mathew is an Indian author of Malayalam literature and a screenplay writer in Malayalam film and Television industries. A Winner of a National Film Award for Best Screenplay and multiple State television and other literary awards, he is known for his original style of writing. Literary works such as Iruttil Oru Punyalan, Chaavunilam, Njayarazhcha Mazha Peyyukayayirunnu, Jalakanyakayum Gandarvanum and 2004il Alice and screen plays which include Sararaanthal, Mikhayelinte Santhathikal, Megham, Kutty Srank and Ee.Ma.Yau are some of his notable works.
Mathews was born in a Latin Christian family on 18 February 1960 in Ernakulam, Kerala to Poovankery Francis and Mary Francis. After his early schooling in Don Bosco School and St. Augustine's School, Kochi, he graduated in Economics from St. Albert's College Kochi, in 1980 and secured his master's degree in Malayalam in 1982. He started writing at the age of 10 when he used to write and direct one- act plays. He took to short stories at the age of 16 and his short stories have been published in leading Malayalam publications like Malayala Manorama, Kalakaumudi, Mathrubhumi, Madhyamam and Bhashaposhini. He spent his regular career at Advocate General's Office of the High Court of Kerala from where he superannuated in 2016.
His first short story anthology, Njayarazhcha Mazha Peyyukayayirunnu (It Was Raining on Sunday), was published in 1986 by Current Books. His second work was a novel, Chaavunilam (Land of the Dead), based on the coastal life in Kochi and published in 1996 by DC Books, which won the State Bank of Travancore award for the best novel. Subsequent years produced two more short story collections, Jalakanyakayum Gandarvanum (the Mermaid and the Celestial Lover) and 2004il Alice (Alice in 2004). In 2013, a short story anthology, Kathakal (Stories), and his memoirs, Theerajeevithathinu Oru Oppees (A Requiem for the Coastal Life), were published. His second novel, Iruttil Oru Punyalan (A Saint Shrouded in Darkness), was published in 2015, and two of its chapters were published by Mathrubhumi weekly, prior to the official release of the book. The book has since been translated into Tamil, under the title, Iruttil Oru Punithan, by P. S. Ramesh.
Film and television career
Mathews debuted into screen writing with a documentary film, Keep the City Clean. In 1991, he won the Kerala State Television Award for screen play, for the tele-series Sararaanthal (The Lantern), broadcast in Doordarshan. He received his second state television award for Mikhayelinte Santhathikal (Descendants of Mikhayel), in 1993. Several works followed, which included Dr. Harischandra (1994), Roses in December (1995), Charulatha (1999), Aathma (2000), Edayanum Mankidavum (2003), Megham (2004), Mantharam (2005), Aa Amma (2006), Pakalmazha (2009) and Daivathinu Swantham Devootti (2012), the last one winning State television award for the best Series. He has also won the script writing competition held nationwide by National Film Development Corporation of India, for Naattukaaryam, in 1993.
Mathews' foray into big screen was in 1986 with the story of Thanthram (the Plot), a Mammooty starrer. This was followed by Puthran (the Son), a sequel to the successful tele series, Mikhayelinte Santhathikal. The next was Kutty Srank, directed by Shaji N. Karun, which won him the National Film Award for Best Screenplay for the year 2010. Antichrist, a Lijo Jose Pellissery project, with Prithviraj, Fahadh Faasil and Indrajith in lead roles, was put on hold after initial discussions. The next project, Ee.Ma.Yau, a Lijo Jose Pellissery film, was released in May 2018 and the film received good critical reviews. Another Lijo Jose Pellissery film has also been announced, with Mamootty in the lead role.
Mathews believes that it is important for a writer to be immersed in contemporary times, saying, “A screenplay writer has to be aware of the socio-political situation of the country, be more careful about the politics. Scriptwriting is not lighthearted, it’s a serious thing."
Mathews, a recipient of the KCBC Yuvaprathibha (Young Talent) award (1999), is married to Shobha and the couple has two sons, Unni Mathews and Anand Mathews, both of whom are part of the 'Karikku' team. He has been employed with the Advocate General's Office, Ernakulam, and has since superannuated from service.
Awards and recognitions
|National Film Award for Best Screenplay||2010||Kutty Srank|
|Kerala State Television Award for Best Screenplay||1991||Sararaanthal|
|Kerala State Television Award for Best Screenplay||1993||Mikhayelinte Santhathikal|
|National Film Development Corporation of India Prize for Best Screenplay||1993||Naattukaaryam|
|State Bank of Travancore Award for Best Novel||1996||Chaavunilam|
|KCBC Yuvaprathibha Award||1999||General Contribution|
|Movie Street Film Award for Best Screenplay||2019||Ee.Ma.Yau.|
|Sinema Zetu International Film Festival Award for Best Screenplay||2019||Ee.Ma.Yau.|
|Work||Year||Genre / Comments|
|Njayarazhcha Mazha Peyyukayayirunnu||1986||Short story – Anthology|
|Jalakanyakayum Gandarvanum||1998||Short story – Anthology|
|2004il Alice||2004||Short story – Anthology|
|27 Down||2011||Short story – Anthology|
|Kathakal||2013||Short story – Anthology|
|Theerajeevithathinu Oru Oppees||2013||Memoir|
|Iruttil Oru Punyalan||2015||Novel|
|Pathimoonnu Kadalkakkakalude Upama||2018||Short story – Anthology|
|Theranjedutha Kathakal||2018||Short story – Anthology|
|Ee Ma Yau||2019||Screenplay|
|Iruttil Oru Punithan||2019||Tamil translation of Iruttil Oru Punyalan|
Tele-series and Documentaries
|Keep the City Clean||Documentary||Jude Attipetty||1981|
|Mikhayelinte Santhathikal||Tele-series||Jude Attipetty||1993|
|Dr. Harischandra||Tele-series||Jude Attipetty||1994|
|Roses in December||Tele-series||Jude Attipetty||1995|
|Edayanum Mankidavum||Tele-series||Jude Attipetty||2003|
|Daivathinu Swantham Devootti||Tele-series||Madhupal||2011|
|Kutty Srank||Screen Play||2009|
- "Kutti Srankinte Ezhuthukaran". Mathrubhumi. 9 July 2008. Retrieved 10 September 2015.
- "57th National Film Awards" (PDF). Directorate of Film Festivals. 2010. Retrieved 10 September 2015.
- "Veethi profile". Veethi. 2015. Retrieved 10 September 2015.
- "The Kochi novel". Fountain Ink. 2015. Retrieved 10 September 2015.
- "Ente Cinema - Part 1". Interview. Ente Cinema Videos. 15 August 2012. Retrieved 9 August 2014.
- "A writer who isn't in the race". The Hindu. 25 March 2016.
- "Chaavunilam". Retrieved 9 August 2014.
- "വാഴ്വ് തേടുന്ന ചാവുനിലം". The Indian Express - Malayalam. 27 March 2017.
- "P F Mathews, the writer of novel 'Chavunilam' in Aksharam". YouTube video. Asianet News. 9 October 2014. Retrieved 10 September 2015.
- P. F. Mathews (2004). 2004il Alice. D C Books. ISBN 9788126415731.
- P. F. Mathews (2013). Kathakal. D C Books. ISBN 9788126434619.
- P. F. Mathews (2013). Theerajeevithathinu Oru Oppees. DC Books. p. 84. ISBN 9788126442317.
- P. F. Mathews (August 2015). "Iruttil oru Punyalan". Mathrubhumi Weekly. 93 (22).
- Mathews, P. F. (2019). Iruttil Oru Punithan. Translated by Ramesh, P. S. Chennai: Kalakattam. ISBN 9788190788359.
- "Kerala State Television Awards 2012". Kerala TV. 14 September 2012. Retrieved 10 September 2015.
- "Thanthram". IMDB. 2015. Retrieved 10 September 2015.
- Jude Attipetty, Jose Prakash, Biju Menon (1994). Puthran - Worldcat index (Feature film). Thomsun. OCLC 34977936.
- "Puthran". IMDB. 2015. Retrieved 10 September 2015.
- "P F Mathews is back". India Glitz. 25 June 2008. Retrieved 10 September 2015.
- "Antichrist". Buzz in Town. 2015. Retrieved 10 September 2015.
- "Lijo Jose Pellissery's next is a satire set in a fishing village - Times of India". The Times of India. 8 August 2017. Retrieved 11 January 2018.
- "Release of Lijo Jose's 'Ee Ma Yau' postponed to 2018". The News Minute. 20 December 2017. Retrieved 11 January 2018.
- "Ee Ma Yau (2018) Malayalam Movie Review - Veeyen". Veeyen Unplugged. 5 May 2018. Retrieved 11 May 2018.
- "Ee.Ma.Yau movie review: A class apart". www.deccanchronicle.com. 4 May 2018. Retrieved 11 May 2018.
- Sudhish, Navamy (5 May 2018). "'Ee.Ma.Yau' review: Controlled splendour". The Hindu. Retrieved 11 May 2018.
- "Ee.Ma.Yau review: Lijo Jose Pellissery outdoes himself, yet again". The Week. Retrieved 11 May 2018.
- "Mammootty In Lijo Jose Pellissery Movie". Nth Wall. 11 March 2016.
- Kahlon, Sukhpreet. "Screenplay writers should be aware of socio-political situation of the country: PF Mathews at KNIFF". Cinestaan.com. Retrieved 10 December 2018.
- "Kerala State Film Awards 2016 announced". Express News Service - The New Indian Express. 7 March 2017.
- "മൂവീ സ്ട്രീറ്റ് അവാര്ഡ്: ജോജു മികച്ച നടന്; നിമിഷ, സംയുക്ത നടിമാര്". Asianet News Network Pvt Ltd. 5 February 2019. Retrieved 5 February 2019.
- "SZIFF - International Film Festival Tanzania". sziff.co.tz. 5 March 2019. Retrieved 5 March 2019.
- "ഈ മ യൗ കുതിച്ചുയരുന്നു; മൂന്ന് അന്താരാഷ്ട്ര പുരസ്കാരങ്ങള് കൂടി". Mathrubhumi. Retrieved 11 March 2019.
- 1960-, Mathews, P. F., (1996). Chaavunilam. Kottayam: D C Books. ISBN 9788171305667.
- 1960-, Mathews, P. F. (2007). 2004-il Ālice. Kottayam: Ḍ. C. Books. ISBN 8126415738.
- 1960-, Mathews, P. F., (2012). Kathakaḷ. Kottayam: D C Books. ISBN 9788126434619.
- 1960-, Mātyūs, Pi. Ephȧ., (2013). Tưrajīvitattinȧ oru oppīs. Kottayam. ISBN 9788126442317. OCLC 876141516.
- 1960-, Mathews, P. F. Iruṭṭil Oru Punyaalan. Kottayam. ISBN 9788126465101.
- 1960-, Mathews, P. F. Pathimoonnu Kadalkakkakalude Upama. Thrissur: Logos Publishers.
- 1960-, Mathews, P. F. Theranjedutha Kathakal. Kottayam: D C Books. ISBN 9789352824656.
- 1960-, Mathews, P. F. Ee Ma Yau. Thrissur: Logos Publishers. ISBN 9789388364294.
- "മരണത്തോളം സത്യസന്ധം ഈ ചിത്രം; റിവ്യു". ManoramaOnline. Retrieved 4 May 2018.
- C, Sharika (11 May 2018). "Chronicle of a death". The Hindu. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 15 May 2018.
- Pillai, Meena T. (31 March 2016). "Exorcism of the self". The Hindu. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 15 May 2018.
- Shaji Jacob (9 December 2018). "Maranasankeerthanangal". www.marunadanmalayali.com. Retrieved 27 January 2019.
- P. F. Mathews on IMDb
- Keralavision Satellite Channel (10 January 2019). "Oruvattam Koodi Episode 21 P. F. MATHEWS". YouTube. Retrieved 3 February 2019.
In conversation with Kavitha Nair
- "Ente Cinema - Part 1". Interview. Ente Cinema Videos. 15 August 2012. Retrieved 9 August 2014.
- "Ente Cinema - Part 2". Interview. Ente Cinema Videos. 15 August 2012. Retrieved 9 August 2014.
- "Ente Cinema - Part 3". Interview. Ente Cinema Videos. 15 August 2012. Retrieved 9 August 2014.
- "Felicitation - National Award". Retrieved 9 August 2014.
- "About Author - P. F. Mathews". Author profile. Kerala Book Store. 2015. Retrieved 10 September 2015.
- P. F. Mathews (13 June 2019). "മലയാളത്തിലെ നിരൂപകര് മുഖ്യധാരയിലെ ലബ്ധപ്രതിഷ്ഠരെ കൊണ്ടാടുകയാണ് എന്നും ചെയ്തിട്ടുള്ളത്" (Web). Interviewed by Abhilash Melethil. Cue.in. Retrieved 13 June 2019.
Translated title:Malayalam literary critics celebrate only the recognized mainstream writers