P. Govinda Pillai
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|P. Govinda Pillai|
23 May 1926|
Pulluvazhi, Perumbavoor, Kerala, India
22 November 2012 (aged 86)|
Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala, India
Pillai was born on 23 May 1926 in Pulluvazhi, Perumbavoor, the son of Parameswaran Pillai and Parukuttyamma. He graduated with BA Hons. from St.Xaviers', Mumbai. He was elected as a member of Thiru-Kochi Assembly in 1951 and later as a member of the Kerala Assembly 1967–70. He was the Kerala Press Academy Chairman 1981–82. He died on 22 November 2012 in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala.
Pillai has written and spoken widely on the subject of fine arts and served as the Chairman of Kerala State Film Development Corporation and also as the founding Director of the Centre for Development of Imaging Technology (C-DIT).
A familiar face on Kairali TV, Pillai commented on national and international events. His unfavorable critical remarks about E.M.S. Namboodiripad on various issues have invited fierce backlash from the Communist Party of India (Marxist) politburo. The party saw it as "grave indiscipline" and "publicly censured" him on the issue. However, in 2010, he received the Janasevana Praveen from the V. Sambasivan Foundation.
- Books by P. Govinda Pillai
- Marxum mooladhanavum (Marx and Capital)
- Isangalkkippuram (Within "ism"s)
- Marxist saundaryashastram, udbhavavum valarchayum (Marxist aesthetics: origin and growth)
- Bhudakaalavum Munvidhiyum (Past and Prejudice)
- Frederik Engles – Snigdhanaya Sahakari Varishtanaya viplavakari
- Mar Gregoriosinte Mathavum Marxisavum (Religion and Marxism of Mar Gregorios)
- EMS um Malayala Sahityavum (EMS and Kerala literature)
- Kerala Navodhanam Oru Marxist Veekshanam Vol 1 (Kerala renaissance: A Marxist perspective Vol 1)
- Kerala Navodhanam Oru Marxist Veekshanam – Mathacharyar Mathanishedhikal
- Mahabharatham Muthal Communism Vare (From Mahabharatha to Communism)
- Mulkraj Muthal Pavanan Vare (From Mulkraj to Pavanan)
- Aagolavalkaranam Maadhyamam Samskaram (Globalization Media Culture)
- EMS Namboothiripad – A Biography
- Charles Darwin;Jeevithavum Kaalavum (2009) (Charles Darwin: life and times)
- Vynjanika viplavam-Oru samskarika charithram (2011) (Knowledge revolution: A cultural history)
- Guide book for Gramcii readers (joint author with EMS)
- samskaravum navodhanavum translated by ppsathyan.
Translations by P. Govinda Pillai:
- Kaattukadannal (Gadfly by Ethel Lilian Voynich)
- Bhoothakalavum Munvidhikalum (Past and Prejudice by Romila Thapar)
Book about p govindappillai -PG ABHIMUKHANGAL, ppsathyan, pkpocker-progress publishers, kozhikode.
- Other Articles
- Chuvanna Pratheekshakal – Red Expectations – Interview by ppsathyan, Madhyamam Weekly,2012.
- Vayichu Theerilla ee Jeevitha Pusthakam, ppsathyan, Malayalam Varika – December 2012