P. J. Kurien
|P. J. Kurien|
|പ്രൊഫ. പി. ജെ. കുര്യൻ|
|Deputy Chairman of the Rajya Sabha|
21 August 2012
|Preceded by||K. Rahman Khan|
|MP of Rajya Sabha for Kerala|
2 July 2012 – 1 July 2018
|Succeeded by||Binoy Viswam|
|Member of Parliament (Lok Sabha)|
31 March 1941 |
(now in Kerala, India)
|United Progressive Alliance
|Alma mater||St. Thomas College, Kozhencherry
Government Science College, Rewa
Pallath Joseph "P. J." Kurien is an Indian politician, a social worker and educationist. He is currently serving as the Deputy Chairman of the Rajya Sabha, the upper house of the Parliament of India. A leader of the Indian National Congress party, Kurien previously served as a Union Minister in the P. V. Narasimha Rao government and was a member of the Lok Sabha for six consecutive terms from 1980 to 1999. He was elected to the Rajya Sabha in 2005. He is being forced to retire from active politics by the young brigade of the Congress Party but it seems he is not budging.
P. J. Kurien was born on 31 March 1941 to P. G. Joseph and Rachel Joseph at Vennikulam in Tiruvalla, Pathanamthitta District, Kerala. He had his early education at St. Behanas High School, Vennikulam. For higher education, he attended St. Thomas College, Kozhencherry, Kerala and at Government Science College, Rewa, Madhya Pradesh. He was a professor of Physics at St. Thomas College, Kozhencherry, when he entered politics.
- 1980-84 Member, Seventh Lok Sabha.
- 1984-89 Member, Eighth Lok Sabha.
- 1987-89 Member, Executive, Congress Parliamentary Party [C.P.P.(I)],Member, House Committee,Member, Committee on Public Undertakings.
- 1989-91 Member, Ninth Lok Sabha, Chief Whip, Congress Parliamentary Party, Member of the Business Advisory Committee.
- 1991-96 Member, Tenth Lok Sabha.
- 1991-93 Union Minister of State, Industry with additional charge of Commerce.
- 1992-93 Union Minister of State, Industry,(Department of Small Scale, Agro and Rural Industries) with additional charge of Commerce.
- 1994-98 Chairman, Board of Governors, Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi.
- 1995-96 Union Minister of State, Non-Conventional Energy Sources.
- 1996-98 Member, Eleventh Lok Sabha, Member of the Business Advisory Committee.
- 1998-99 Member, Twelfth Lok Sabha, Chief Whip, Congress Parliamentary Party,Member, Business Advisory Committee,Jan.
- July 2005 Elected to Rajya Sabha
- August 2012 Elected Deputy Chairman of Rajya Sabha
Kurien was alleged to be an accused in the Suryanelli rape case, though his name was never included in the list of accused. There are four inquiries which exonerated Kurien, three inquiries were held under the Chief Ministership of E. K. Nayanar, who himself used the allegation against Kurien during 1996 elections, and was also a respondent in the defamation case filed by Kurien. During these three inquiries, Kurien was only an opposition MP; Congress Party being out of power both at the Centre and in Kerala. Kurien has maintained his innocence and police investigations into the case have also deemed him innocent. There are speculations such as the alleged controversy against Kurien is politically motivated and his political power even led to the exoneration. Sessions Judge Abraham Mathew in his order held that the victim’s plea for inclusion of Kurien in the sex scandal case was not maintainable 
- "Congress leader PJ Kurien elected as Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman". Economic Times.
- "P.J. Kurien is Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman". The Hindu.
- "Biodata on the Rajya Sabha website". Retrieved 2013-05-29.
- "P J Kurien". India.gov.in.
- "Suryanelli rape case: Kerala High Court rejects petition against PJ Kurien".
- "Will PJ Kurien be made an accused in the Suryanelli rape case? Court order likely today".
K Rahman Khan
|Deputy Chairman of the Rajya Sabha