P. K. Kaul
Pratap Kishen Kaul
|Ambassador to the United States of America|
|Prime Minister||Rajiv Gandhi|
|Died||1 March 2007
|Alma mater||Harvard University, University of Allahabad|
|Occupation||Diplomat, Ambassador of India to USA|
Pratap Kishen Kaul (1929 - 2 March 2007) was an Indian Civil Services officer and held several secretarial positions in the Indian Administrative Services. He was also the Indian Ambassador to the United States from 1986 to 1989.
He served in Uttar Pradesh for 15 years as a 1951 batch IAS officer, before moving to the center as secretary of three ministries and acted as a commerce, finance and defence secretary, for the government of India. He served as a cabinet secretary of India from 1985-1986. He also served as alternate governor to International Monetary Fund (IMF), World Bank (WB) and Asian Development Bank (ADB).
As a finance secretary, Kaul played an important role in the formulation of policies for export and import promotion, infrastructure for movement and financing of exports and the development of free trade zones in India. Kaul also served as the alternate governor of Asian development bank (ADB), World Bank (WB) and International Monetary Fund (IMF). Kaul was the chairman of the SEBI appointed committee which oversaw the implementation and facilitation of the SEBI Mutual Funds regulations, 1996. The committee helped the trustees of Mutual funds to best perform their role, so that the mutual funds could be managed more ethically and responsibly. He was the Indian Ambassador to the United States from 1986 to 1989.
Kaul was on the advisory council of the All India Kashmiri Samaj (AIKS). He also advised industrial and financial firms on matters relating to financial management and corporate planning. In 2005, he was oppointed as a head of high-powered committee to review the functioning of Central Government Health Service (CGHS) by government of India. He was also a member of the Space commission and the Atomic Energy commission of India. He was retired as a cabinet secretary.
- Irvin Molotsky, Wayne King (2 September 1986). "The Kauls are Everywhere". nytimes.com. Retrieved 8 August 2012.
- Ambassadors of India to the United States, Embassy of India - Washington DC, retrieved 2008-11-18
- "Cabinet Secretary (former) P.K. Kaul cremated". indianmuslims.info. Retrieved 8 August 2012.
- webindia123, online news (2 Mar 2011). "Former cabinet secretary P.K. Kaul cremated".
- Illinois general assembly page, www.ilga.com (3 May 1988). "85th general assembly, house of representatives, Transcription debate" (PDF). p. 13.
- SEBI, Securities & Exchange Board of India. "Mutual Funds 2000". sebi.gov.in. Retrieved 8 August 2012.
- "Scholarship Board: Pratap Kishen Kaul". karna.org. Retrieved 8 August 2012.
- T.N. Pandit (1895). Kashmiri Pandits: A Contemporary Perspective. APH Publishing Corporation, 5 Ansari Road, Darya Ganj. p. 163. ISBN 81-7648-812-7. Retrieved 8 Aug 2012.