"Perform, protect, improve"
|Headquarters||Abingdon, Oxfordshire, UK|
|Carl D Francis (CEO)
Ady Moores (CFO)
Dr Stephen Coulson (CTO)
Eric Cohill (CCO)
Peter Rankin (COO)
P2i is a nanotechnology solutions provider who works with manufacturers to deliver liquid repellent nano-coating protection to products across five key market sectors: Electronics, Lifestyle, Life Sciences, Filtration & Energy, and Military & Institutional.
The company was established in 2004 to commercialize technologies developed by the UK MoD’s Defense Science and Technology Laboratory. In further research and development, the company has identified innovative applications, equipment and processing methods, extending its patent portfolio to over 65 families (Jan, 2013). In 2010 the company acquired Surface Innovations Limited, adding new technologies such as antimicrobial, super hydrophilic and protein resistance coatings to its solutions.
The company’s platform technology is based on original PhD research  carried out in the late 1990s by P2i's Chief Technology Officer, Dr Stephen Coulson, within the Functional Surfaces group led by Professor Jas Pal Badyal at Durham University.
The technology increases the surface energy of products by developing an ultrathin polymer coating on all surfaces (based on perfluorinated carbon compounds). This acts to keep the products surface ‘neutral’ and therefore reduces the disruption of intermolecular bonds within a liquid. According to P2i’s website, instead of being attracted and spreading out on a product, liquids now remain in droplet formation and easily move away.
The P2i technology employs plasma-enhanced chemical vapor deposition processing to apply an ultrathin polymer layer onto all surfaces of a product. Their patented 'pulsed-plasma' process takes place under low pressure within a vacuum chamber at room temperature. The coating is introduced as a vapor and ionized. This allows for the development of the polymer layer, which forms a covalent bond with the product’s surface, making it extremely durable.
The technology can be readily applied onto a wide variety of items made from a diverse range of materials. Occurring at low pressure, the coating penetrates complex three-dimensional objects, protecting it internally and externally in the one process. As the coating is one thousand times thinner than a human hair, it does not affect the look or feel of products, including the delicate components of electronic devices, or the breathability of lifestyle materials.
Dr Coulson’s research project was funded by the United Kingdom's Defence Science and Technology Laboratory (DSTL) which aimed to protect clothing from water and other liquids while maximizing comfort. P2i Ltd was established as a stand-alone company in 2004, as the first DSTL technology spin-out managed by Ploughshare Innovations (the DSTL’s technology transfer company).
On 13 July 2010, P2i announced the acquisition of Surface Innovations Ltd, a UK-based technology company with several functional nano-coating patent families in areas such as anti-bacterial resistance and liquid attracting (super wettable).
Applications and brands
According to P2i’s website, current applications for its technology are in the categories of ‘Electronics, Lifestyle, Life Sciences, Filtration & Energy and Military & Institutional’  For consumer-facing products the company has created sector-specific trademarked brands. The ion-mask brand  is used in lifestyle products such as footwear, outdoor clothing and accessories (gloves and headwear). ion-mask products are on sale from several international footwear companies including Timberland, Nike, adidas Golf, Hi-Tec, Magnum Boots, Van Dal, Teva, and K-Swiss.
P2i's nano-coating, is used in consumer electronics, focusing initially on the hearing aid sector where the company claims to be applied to 70% of the world’s hearing devices. In 2013, P2i diversified its marketing, replacing Aridion with the term splash-proof, to identify the traditional hydrophobic layer technology.
This allowed for the introduction of the new Dunkable technology for the electronics sector. Dunkable is a hydrophobic barrier technology which, in addition to the hydrophobic benefits, acts an ultrathin physical barrier, ensuring the electronics and liquids can’t interact. This protects devices from accidental prolonged liquid exposure, such as a phone falling into the toilet.
- "Applications". P2i. Retrieved 2013-03-20.
- "P2i protects world's slimmest smartphone". Science Vale. 2013-01-16. Retrieved 2013-03-21.
- "World Leader in Liquid Repellent nano-Coating Technology Acquires Surface Innovations". AzoNano. 2010-07-13. Retrieved 2013-03-20.
- "Location". MEPC. 2013. Retrieved 2013-03-20.
- "British firm P2i to open office at Herty". Savannah Morning News. 2009-03-20. Retrieved 2013-03-20.
- "P2i". Ombu Group. Retrieved 2013-03-20.
- "Durham University publications". Retrieved 2011-03-02.
- "Welcome to Professor Badyal’s Research Group". Retrieved 2011-03-02.
- Glass, Nick (18 January 2013). "Nano-coating provides watertight solution". CNN International. Retrieved 20 March 2013.
- "Innovation". P2i. P2i. Retrieved 20 March 2013.
- "MOTOROLA Splash Guard Feature Demo". YouTube. Motorola. Retrieved 20 March 2013.
- "P2i Process - Electronics". YouTube. P2i. Retrieved 20 March 2013.
- "P2i - Liquid Repellent Nano-coating Technology for Electronic Devices". Product Listing. Semiconductor-technology. Retrieved 20 March 2013.
- "P2i Limited Achieves 27th Place in Tech Track Rankings". AzoNano. 20 September 2012. Retrieved 20 March 2013.
- "Wet is Dry". ion-mask Microsite. Hi-Tec. Retrieved 20 March 2013.
- "P2i". Ploughshare Innovations. Retrieved 21 March 2013.
- "P2i Water Resistant Micro Technology" (PDF). Retrieved 2011-03-02.
- "P2i Applications". Retrieved 2010-03-03.
- "P2i Ion-Mask Technology". Retrieved 2010-03-02.
- "Ion Mask Technology By P2i".
- "Nike Sportswear Presents the Lunar Wood TZ, Debuting at Retail on Dec. 11th 2009.". Retrieved 2010-03-02.
- "adidas Golf chooses P2i’s ion-mask technology to revolutionise performance and comfort in golf footwear". 2009-10-20. Retrieved 2011-11-18.
- "Hi-Tec Wet is Dry featuring Ion Mask". Retrieved 2010-03-02.
- "Magnum Essential Equipment featuring ion-mask". Retrieved 2010-03-02.
- "Van Dal Technologies". Retrieved 2010-03-02.
- "Links". Teva. Retrieved 21 March 2013.
- "K-Swiss Kwicky Blade-Light Tech". K-Swiss. YouTube. Retrieved 21 March 2013.
- "Aridion Technology by P2i". Retrieved 2011-11-18.
- "P2i showcase award winning technology as EUHA marks five million hearing aid milestone for Aridion". 2011-10-19. Retrieved 2011-11-18.
- "Dr Stephen Coulson introduces Dunkable". YouTube. P2i. Retrieved 20 March 2013.
- "P2i Unveils Dunkable Nano-Coating Technology at Mobile World Congress". AzoNano. 26 February 2013. Retrieved 20 March 2013.
- Taylor, Jim (6 March 2013). "Cars and watches but no wires - The future of mobiles". BBC 1. Retrieved 20 March 2013.