PAF Base M.M. Alam
|PAF Base M.M. Alam|
|IATA: MWD – ICAO: OPMI|
|Operator||Pakistan Air Force|
|Elevation AMSL||690 ft / 210 m|
Originally a World War II airstrip, it was decided that Mianwali would be upgraded into a satellite airbase for PAF Base Mushaf (then PAF Base Sargodha) during the 1965 Indo-Pak War to act as an alternate recovery airfield. The airbase became operational in October 1971 and was first commanded by Group Captain S. M. Dutta. Aircraft of different types, including the Shenyang F-6, were operated from the base during the 1971 Indo-Pak War. Pilots and anti-aircraft gunners of Mianwali airbase shot down 5 enemy aircraft during that conflict, the first three days of which the base came under regular attacks.
The airbase was again upgraded to a permanent operational airbase in August 1974, although construction of facilities was not completed for another three years. The first base commander was Wing Commander Sultan Muhammad. During November 1975, the No.1 Fighter Conversion Unit (FCU) was transferred to Mianwali airbase from PAF Base Masroor where it began fighter conversion training using the FT-5 dual-seat training aircraft. Over 500 fighter pilots have graduated since.
In November 1976, No.14 Squadron was transferred to Mianwali airbase for operational conversion of graduates of the No.1 Fighter Conversion Unit from dual-seat to the Shenyang F-6 single-seat fighter aircraft. When No.14 Squadron was selected to operate the F-16 in August 1986, it was transferred away from Mianwali airbase and replaced by No.25 Squadron. Further construction of facilities and transfer of units to the base took place during the 1980s.
On January 5, 2012,No 1 Fighter Conversion Unit re-equipped,after end of long and illustrious services rendered by veteran Chinese FT-5 fighter trainer aircraft. No 1 FCU, is now being re-equipped with modern state-of-the-art K-8P fighter trainer aircraft.
Air Chief Marshal Rao Qamar Suleman, Chief of the Air Staff, Pakistan Air Force was the Chief Guest at the occasion. In this regard the advanced and focused training at No 1 FCU on K-8P aircraft would assist Pakistan Air Force to remain an air force second to none.
- "PAF grounds ageing trainer aircraft". Dawn. January 6, 2012. Retrieved June 20, 2013.
- "Pakistan not sending troops to Bahrain or Saudi: PM". Dawn. 20 March 2014. Retrieved 20 March 2014.
- Desk, Web (2014-02-27). "PAF honours ace pilot MM Alam, renames Mianwali air base after him – The Express Tribune". Tribune.com.pk. Retrieved 2014-03-21.
- Imaduddin. "PAF Mianwali Base renamed as M.M. Alam Airbase". Brecorder.com. Retrieved 2014-03-21.
- "PM Nawaz Sharif names PAF base Mianwali after MM Alam". The News Tribe. Retrieved 2014-03-21.
- Airport information for OPMI at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.