PCMan File Manager
|Developer(s)||Hong Jen Yee (PCMan), Andriy Grytsenko (LStranger)|
|Written in||C (GTK), C++ (Qt)|
PCMan File Manager (PCManFM) is a file manager application, developed by Hong Jen Yee (Chinese: 洪任諭; pinyin: Hóng Rènyù) from Taiwan, which is meant to be a replacement for GNOME Files, Dolphin and Thunar. PCManFM is the standard file manager in LXDE, also developed by the same author in conjunction with other developers. Since 2010, PCManFM has undergone a complete rewrite from scratch; build instructions, setup and configuration have changed in the process.
Released under the GNU General Public License, PCManFM is free software. It follows the specifications given by Freedesktop.org for interoperability.
Dissatisfied with GTK3, Hong Jen Yee experimented with Qt in early 2013 and released the first version of a Qt-based PCManFM on March 26, 2013. He clarified, though, that does not indicate any departure from GTK in LXDE, saying: "The GTK and Qt versions will coexist". The new PCManFM-Qt is a core component of LXQt. In 2020 the Arch Linux community ported PCManFM to GTK 3.
PCManFM's features include:
- Full GVfs support with seamless access to remote file systems (able to handle sftp://, dav://, smb://, etc. when related back-ends of gvfs are installed.)
- Twin panel
- Thumbnails for pictures
- Desktop management - shows wallpaper and desktop icons
- Tabbed browsing (similar to a web browser)
- Volume management (mount/unmount/eject, requires gvfs)
- Drag & drop support
- Files can be dragged among tabs
- File association (Default application)
- Provides the following views: icon, compact, detailed list, thumbnail, and tree on the left sidebar
- ^ "Activity for PCMan File Manager". Retrieved 2021-02-15.
- ^ "PCManFM Qt releases". github.com/lxqt. Retrieved 2022-08-25.
- ^ Craciun, Dan. "PCMan File Manager 0.4.5 Review". Linux Today. Archived from the original on 30 June 2021. Retrieved 20 February 2013.
- ^ Georgiadis, Panos. "PCMan – An Alternative File Manager". Unixmen. Retrieved 20 February 2013.
- ^ "LXDE - PCManFM file manager is ported to Qt?". Blog.lxde.org. 1999-02-22. Retrieved 2013-04-27.
- ^ "LXDE - PCManFM Qt 0.1.0 released". Blog.lxde.org. 2013-03-27. Retrieved 2013-04-27.
- ^ "Arch Linux LXDE". wiki.archlinux.org.