by Bikini Kill
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||10 (list of episodes)|
|Running time||27–29 minutes|
|Original release||February 8, 2019 –|
PEN15 is an American comedy web television series, created by Maya Erskine, Anna Konkle, and Sam Zvibleman, that premiered on February 8, 2019, on Hulu. The series stars Erskine and Konkle, who also serve as executive producers alongside Zvibleman, Andy Samberg, Akiva Schaffer, Jorma Taccone, Becky Sloviter, Marc Provissiero, Brooke Pobjoy, Debbie Liebling, and Gabe Liedman.
PEN15 is described as "middle school as it really happened. Erskine and Konkle play versions of themselves as 13-year-old outcasts in the year 2000, surrounded by actual 13-year-olds, where the best day of your life can turn into your worst with the stroke of a gel pen."
Cast and characters
- Dylan Gage Moore as Gabe
- Sami Rappoport as Becca
- Anna Pniowsky as Heather
- Ivan Mallon as Ian
- Hannah Mae as Connie M
- Tony Espinosa as Jafeer
- Brady Allen as Brendan
- Jill Basey as Ms. Bell
- Lincoln Jolly as Alex
- Brandon Keener as Mr. O
- Allius Barnes as Evan
- Marion Van Cuyck as Terra Newback
- Jessica Pressley as Jessica
- David Bowe as Albert
- Diane Delano as Jan
- Jonah Beres as Brandt
- Nathaniel Matulessya as Skyler
- Katie Silverman as Stevie
- Brekkan Spens as Ben Field
- Bernadette Guckin as Mrs. Tooler
- Tim Russ as Mr. Wyzell
- Isaac Edwards as Dustin
- Jennifer Steadman as Suze
- Carmina Garay as Jenna
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date|
|1||"First Day"||Dan Longino||Maya Erskine, Anna Konkle, & Sam Zvibleman||February 8, 2019|
|2||"Miranda"||Dan Longino||Maya Erskine, Anna Konkle, & Sam Zvibleman||February 8, 2019|
|3||"Ojichan"||Dan Longino||Maya Erskine||February 8, 2019|
|4||"Solo"||Andrew DeYoung||Sam Zvibleman||February 8, 2019|
|5||"Community Service"||Andrew DeYoung||Jessica Watson||February 8, 2019|
|6||"Posh"||Andrew DeYoung||Andrew Rhymer & Jeff Chan||February 8, 2019|
|7||"AIM"||Sam Zvibleman||Gabe Liedman||February 8, 2019|
|8||"Wild Things"||Sam Zvibleman||Maya Erskine, Anna Konkle, & Sam Zvibleman||February 8, 2019|
|9||"Anna Lishi-Peters"||Sam Zvibleman||Maya Erskine, Anna Konkle, & Stacy Osei-Kuffour||February 8, 2019|
|10||"Dance"||Sam Zvibleman||Anna Konkle||February 8, 2019|
On April 19, 2018, it was announced that Hulu had given the production a series order for a first season consisting of ten episodes. The series was created by Maya Erskine, Anna Konkle, and Sam Zvibleman who were also set to executive produce alongside Andy Samberg, Akiva Schaffer, Jorma Taccone, Becky Sloviter, Marc Provissiero, Brooke Pobjoy, Debbie Liebling, and Gabe Liedman. Erskine and Konkle were also expected to write for the series and Zvibleman was set to direct multiple episodes. Production companies involved with the series were slated to consist of The Lonely Island, Party Over Here, Odenkirk Provissiero, and AwesomenessTV. On November 19, 2018, it was announced that the series would premiere on February 8, 2019.
Alongside the announcement of the series order, it was confirmed that Erskine and Konkle would star in the series as well.
Principal photography for the first season was expected to begin in the summer of 2018.
On November 19, 2018, a video was released announcing the premiere date of the series. On December 20, 2018, a teaser trailer for the series was released. On January 18, 2019, an official trailer and poster were released.
The series was met with a positive response from critics upon its premiere. On the review aggregation website Rotten Tomatoes, the series holds a "Certified Fresh" 94% approval rating with an average rating of 8.15 out of 10 based on 31 reviews. The website's critical consensus reads, "Viewers willing to suspend their disbelief will find much to enjoy in Pen15, wherein Maya Erskine and Anna Konkle reprise their adolescent selves – stirring up plenty of yucks and pathos amidst the farce." Metacritic, which uses a weighted average, assigned the series a score of 82 out of 100 based on 17 critics, indicating "universal acclaim".
- Petski, Denise (April 19, 2018). "Hulu Picks Up Middle School Comedy Series 'PEN15'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved April 20, 2018.
- Nemetz, Dave (April 19, 2018). "Hulu Orders Twisted, Adult-Themed Middle School Comedy PEN15". TVLine. Retrieved April 20, 2018.
- Goldberg, Lesley (April 19, 2018). "Hulu Picks Up Middle School-Set Adult Comedy 'PEN15' From Lonely Island (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved April 20, 2018.
- Arthur, Kenneth (April 19, 2018). "Hulu Picks Up New Comedy Produced by The Lonely Island". Splitsider. Retrieved April 20, 2018.
- Franklin, Garth (November 20, 2018). "Lonely Island's "PEN15" Revealed Feb 8th". Dark Horizons. Retrieved December 23, 2018.
- Wright, Megh (December 20, 2018). "Here's Your First Look at PEN15, Already Our Favorite Show of 2019". Vulture. Retrieved December 23, 2018.
- Petski, Denise (January 18, 2019). "'PEN15' Trailer: First Look At Hulu's Middle School Comedy From Lonely Island". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved January 18, 2019.
- "PEN15: Season 1". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango. Retrieved February 14, 2019.
- "PEN15: Season 1". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved February 14, 2019.