|PES Institute of Technology (1988 - 2013)|
|Motto||Perseverance, Excellence, Service|
|Established||1988 34 Years|
|Founder||M R Doreswamy|
|Chancellor||M R Doreswamy|
|Pro Chancellor||Jawahar Doreswamy|
|464 (All campuses)|
|Undergraduates||6,656 (All campuses)|
|Postgraduates||1,091 (All campuses)|
|86 (All campuses)|
|Campus||Urban, 30 acres (12 ha)|
|Colors||Blue and red|
People's Education Society University (PESU), formerly PES Institute of Technology (PESIT), is a state private university in Bengaluru, India. Established in 1988, it is focused on the following educational areas: Engineering, Management, Law, Economics, Commerce, Architecture, Design, Psychology, Arts, Medicine and Life Sciences. The institution offers both foundation courses in these areas, as well as specializations, with a Bachelors, Master or PhD degree. The college was established as PES University in 2013, as a state private university. There are 3 campuses under PES University in Bangalore, Ring Road Campus located at Banashankari 3rd stage outer ring road Bangalore, Electronic City Campus located at Electronic City hosur road Bangalore and Hanmumanth Nagar Campus located at Banashankari 1st stage Bangalore.
PESU is managed by the People‘s Education Society (PES), which was founded in 1972, in a rented gymnasium in Bengaluru, with around 40 students. PES currently manages over 45 educational programs in Karnataka and neighbouring Andhra Pradesh, with a total of over 18,000 students.
PESU was started as PESIT in 1988 as the first engineering college under the PES group of institutions. The college was affiliated to Visvesvaraya Technological University, Belagavi and later became an autonomous college under VTU. The college was established as PES University in 2013 and renamed as PES University.
PES University was established as a state private university by PES University Act, 2012 (Karnataka Act 16 of 2013) in 2013, to establish and incorporate in the State of Karnataka a university of unitary nature in the private sector to promote and undertake the advancement of university education in Engineering, Medicine, Pharmacy, Science, Arts, Social Science, Computer Applications, Humanities and Management.
There are three campuses under PES University:
- PES University, Ring Road Campus
- PES University, Electronic City Campus
- PES University, Hanumantha Nagar Campus (formed by the merger of PES College of Pharmacy and PES Degree College)
PESU admits 40% of its students to undergraduate courses based on their Karnataka CET ranks and 60% of its students based on PESSAT (the university's own entrance test) ranks. PESU also admits students under a Management quota, which may not place any merit requirements. There is a lateral entry scheme in place, by which students holding diploma degrees can directly enter the second year of study in engineering. On graduating, students receive a Bachelor of Technology degree.
Faculty and research
Crucible Of Research and Innovation (CORI) is a multi-disciplinary research center at PES University. It was inaugurated by Dr. C. N. R. Rao (former Director, Indian Institute of Science) on 7 February 2010. It has research facilities and a set of dedicated research staff who carry out research in various areas.
Centre for Intelligent Systems (CIS) is a research center at PES University which researches on topics like Control Systems, Speech, Image and Signal Processing, Robotics, Artificial Intelligence and Low Power VLSI design. Selected students do internships in the PES Innovation Lab (formerly Microsoft Innovation Lab) on the university campus.
On 26 September 2016, PISAT was successfully placed into polar Sun Synchronous Orbit (SSO) by India's Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle, in its thirty-seventh flight (PSLV-C35). Prime Minister Narendra Modi tweeted "I applaud the industrious and innovative students of PES University, Bengaluru, for creating the PISAT that was launched successfully today". The launch vehicle, carrying multiple satellites including PISAT, lifted off from Sriharikota in Andhra Pradesh at 9:12 am.
PISAT is a 3 - axis stabilized imaging nanosatellite weighing about 5 kg (11 lb) and generates 13 watts power with S-band RF communication. The major subsystems are: an imaging camera to provide earth imageries with 80-meter resolution, an On-Board Computer (OBC), an Attitude Determination and Control System (ADCS), an RF communication system with S Band frequency, telemetry, telecommand, a thermal system and a Structure and Electrical Power System (EPS). The ground software was developed for on-ground orbit determination essential for mission operations.
PISAT was shipped to the Sriharikota Range (SHAR) rocket launch center on 11 September 2016, in the presence of the Director of the ISRO Satellite Centre (ISAC), Mylswamy Annadurai, SSS PD Mr. Amareshwar Khened and other officials. A team of 11 from PES University were present at SHAR for pre-launch activities of PISAT from 11 to 17 September. During the period, PISAT was interfaced with an ejection mechanism and integrated with the launch vehicle. Earlier, after stringent performance and quality tests by an expert committee, the nanosatellite was formally handed over to the ISRO at a function on the campus attended by top officials from the government and ISRO on 20 April 2016.
RSAT (officially named SindhuNetra) is a three-axis stabilized agile nano satellite weighing 10 kg (22 lb) and measuring 300 mm × 300 mm × 300 mm (12 in × 12 in × 12 in) in size with deployable solar panels generating 45 watts of solar power. It was placed into orbit by ISRO's PSLV-C51 on 28 February 2021 with support from the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO). The RSAT carries a Satellite Based Automatic Identification System (SB-AIS) payload that will help monitor ships on high seas and provide information about their movement. It receives AIS signals transmitted by ships in VHF band, processes and transmits the information to a ground station.
|University and College rankings|
|Engineering – India|
- "PESIT :: Home Page > About Us". pesit.pes.edu. Archived from the original on 24 July 2013. Retrieved 15 January 2022.
- https://www.pes.edu/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/PES-University-Overall.pdf[bare URL PDF]
- "About PES University". PES University. Retrieved 14 May 2014.
- "PESIT students outshine in Sweden-India Nobel Memorial Quiz". ThisweekBengaluru. 14 September 2011. Retrieved 28 October 2011.[permanent dead link]
- https://pes.edu/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/THE_PES_UNIVERSITY_ACT.pdf[bare URL PDF]
- https://pesitsouth.pes.edu/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Govt.-Approval-for-PESU-EC-Campus.pdf[bare URL PDF]
- "M.Tech Computer Science". PESIT, Bengaluru. Archived from the original on 1 November 2011. Retrieved 28 October 2011.
- Gutka, Charmi. "Sparsh Learning Raises Angel Funding From Blume Ventures And Tempus Capital". Dealcurry. Archived from the original on 10 January 2014. Retrieved 28 September 2011.
- "PESIT Telecommunications". PES Institute of Technology. Archived from the original on 20 November 2011. Retrieved 28 September 2011.
- "Pisat - Isro".
- "PES University will launch satellite to monitor ships". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 11 March 2021.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2021 (Engineering)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Education. 9 September 2021.